News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Do all transistors begin with letters A or B

Started by jcs, October 23, 2013, 12:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcs

Hello, newbie to the world of transistors here.

I have various devices that appear to be transistors of some sort but do not begin with letters.

TS 1740 and then below the number 6 over 317....I can't see anything written where the 3 legs are.   

jkokura

Sorry, I'm not really sure of your question. I don't know any transistors that we use that are common to pedal building that begin with A, and only a few that start with B (BS170, BC108/109). There are lots, and lots that start with '2N'. There are others, but 2N is by far the most common. That said, there are probably less than 50 transistors that are common to DIY pedal building.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

kothoma

Quote from: jkokura on October 23, 2013, 12:26:22 AM
I don't know any transistors that we use that are common to pedal building that begin with A, and only a few that start with B (BS170, BC108/109).

Guess that's an European thing. Germanium transistors ACxxx. Silicons BCxxx, BFxxx...

RobA

There are all sorts of designations for transistors, TIP, 2sc, 2n, BS, BF, MPF, ... Different types, series, and origins.

The 317 makes me wonder if it's an LM317 voltage regulator. I did a quick search for transistor and 1740 and got a hit on 2SC1740. Could be that too I guess.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

midwayfair