News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clyde McCoy Wah & MKI Tonebender

Started by dondougie, October 15, 2013, 09:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dondougie

Finished these two builds last week. Tagboard and ptp were firsts for me, but both were really easy to work with and I really like the results.

Having tried every Tonebender variant and similar circuits over the last few years, I've always had a soft spot for the MKI. The incredibly aggressive attack, fat tone and range of the attack knob with the possibility to dial in gated as well as long-sustaining sounds are just perfect. Now, since this is my favorite fuzz I decided it had to be a replica and got the excellent board kit and enclosure from Brook at PigeonFX.

For the transistors I used an OC75 in Q1 and AC125 with a lot of leakage in Q2 (over 1000ua) and Q3 (about 400ua). I had all OC75's in there first, but the AC125 in Q2 really opened up the range on the attack knob and allows for gating at the end of the dial. This thing sounds especially great with humbuckers, and with the WAH in front - instant Mick Ronson  ;D The rest of the circuit is stock except for the Q1 bias resistor.

The next one is a stock Clyde McCoy on Tagboard (layout from Turretboard.org) with an Eleca Halo inductor, BC109B transistors and a 200K Icar pot. The enclosure is from a chinese VOX V847A and I had to file down the mounting screw bodies to make it all fit. Sounds great.

Bret608

Dude, these look awesome! I didn't know PigeonFX had enclosures as well as the boards. Also, I knew the MkI liked leakage, but that is really leaky! I bet it sounds great.

Cortexturizer

AWEEEESOME!

How do you compare the Eleca to the Fasels? I have a yellow Fasel in my build and I love it to death but sometimes I get an itch for that Shaft squicky sound, now everybody seems telling me that the red one is for that. I am wondering how does the Halo compare?
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

LaceSensor

dondougie

Thanks guys  :)

The enclosure is from a special run for the DAM forum, but I think there are still some left on ebay.

As for the inductor, I haven't heard the Fasels in person, but a Halo is supposed to sound "sweeter" than a red fasel, more suitable for clean tones. I wouldn't recommend the Eleca though, as the mounting pins are really flimsy and the tolerances ain't that great. I have a Whipple on order, which should be the best fit for that Shaft sound.