News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sappy

Started by angrykoko, October 10, 2013, 09:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

I try to keep my addiction as hidden away as possible in my man cave.
Once I started having pedals just laying around everywhere and the wife started getting a bit aggravated just because I had junk laying around I wasn't using.  I had to devise a way to satisfyingly get rid of stuff.

I have a shoe cubby hole cabinet with 30 little cubby cubes.
Each cube can hold one pedal. If it's not on my board, it has to be in a cube.

Once all the cubes are filled I either sell or give pedals away. I don't like to sell them because my confidence in quality is lacking.  But I'll just send them to random people if I don't feel like selling.  I sent one to Jeff Kay for his teenage son guitar player. (thewvsr.com)

I'm mailing one to Hannah Hart this weekend, just because I think that would be a strange thing to do. And strange is funny.

I'll send them to old band mates and people I know that might want to expand their sonic capabilities but can't afford it.

Govmnt_Lacky

I only WISH I had some of the problems that you guys have listed....

My problem seems to be that I cannot GET RID of some of my pedals!  :o

At least, not even for a close-to-reasonable price. Its either "I dont want it!" or its "I'll buy it for 1/2 the cost of the parts!"  ::)

Some of the pedals I have built are pretty good clones of the real deals (which are high dollar items even second hand) and I have tried to sell for much less but alas..... every time I try I get the "Sorry bro.... I didn't think it would be THAT much."

Well.... they ain't free my friend!

Sorry.... was I ranting?  ::)

kothoma

Quote from: icecycle66 on October 11, 2013, 05:42:27 PM
I try to keep my addiction as hidden away as possible in my man cave.
Once I started having pedals just laying around everywhere and the wife started getting a bit aggravated just because I had junk laying around I wasn't using.  I had to devise a way to satisfyingly get rid of stuff.

I have a shoe cubby hole cabinet with 30 little cubby cubes.
Each cube can hold one pedal. If it's not on my board, it has to be in a cube.

Once all the cubes are filled I either sell or give pedals away. I don't like to sell them because my confidence in quality is lacking.  But I'll just send them to random people if I don't feel like selling.  I sent one to Jeff Kay for his teenage son guitar player. (thewvsr.com)

I'm mailing one to Hannah Hart this weekend, just because I think that would be a strange thing to do. And strange is funny.

I'll send them to old band mates and people I know that might want to expand their sonic capabilities but can't afford it.

This makes me smile. I like your approach. And isn't giving away more satisfying than selling anyway? And no discussions about money.

timbo_93631

I build them and sell them.  Everything I build is full of love, and most of the time I am building to a customer's spec which is really fun.  When I build something for my board it almost always gets sold.  One exception I have is a 1776 Rubadub that had a freakout issue where it would go nutzo randomly with loud white noise.  This was due to using 1uf Tant's instead of Electro's, and has now been remedied.  It resides in a former one knob fuzz enclosure now labeled, "Unreliable Reverb" and will never leave my board.  I sold my first Aquaboy to a guy not too far away a few months back and have regretted that one a lot after the fact, but I am poised to build a new one next week with MN3008's instead of V3205's, and I think I'll be hanging onto it.  Dirt pedals always come and go.  With my Supro amp I have never found just the right one, though it does like some low gain OD's, but I continue to cycle through them to find the right match.  Fuzzes come and go too.  I just sold the last Tonebender MKII I made which was super nuts, good thing I was able to get one more PCB from Jon (Stomptown) and maybe the next will be a keeper.  Maybe.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

pickdropper

I have a hard time selling most of them as I put so much time and effort into each one.  Usually, if I sell it, it has been built at least twice and I have one of them.  :-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Stomptown

I can totally relate! I have to sell stuff right now to get by while I'm out if work and it us pretty hard to let go of my babies! Oh, and the wife and u have had a good laugh over the idea that one day we will be buried alive in guitar pedals!

selfdestroyer

I have a wife that is into crafts and knows the importance of having parts/things on hand to build and she also knows the "need" to keep things we have built. She/we also understand that you never know when you will feel like building, painting, knitting etc.. so its good to have the things needed on hand so you dont  have to wait. I have a bunch of pedals I don't use on the regular but nothing beats the feeling of hearing a lick and being able to set up a small board to nail that sound. Also, the never ending, changing pedal board that keeps me creatively thinking of new things. I too have problems selling stuff since I am not 100% confident with my work and feel I need to get a few things sorted before I can accept good money for something. I have one friend that I love to build for and I love to see my pedals on his board. Its very rewarding.