News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

most popular large enclosures for pedals

Started by Gledison, October 01, 2013, 01:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

hey guys,
as 125b and 1590b seems to be the most used enclosures in guitar pedal. What would be the most used larger ones? I've got a gift certificate for an electronic shop (yeaah) and the only think I will need in a near future is new enclosures. I didn't plan any larger one yet, that's why the question..
thanks in advance
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

hammerheadmusicman

I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

jkokura

Sizes go 1590B < 125B < 1590BB < 125BB < 1590Q < 1790NS < 1590DD < 1590D

There are other sizes, but all of these enclosures are available from the typical pedal supply stores, like Pedal Parts Plus. Actually, I highly recommend you head over to PPP and take a look at their enclosure area. There are some alternate enclosures from the list I just gave, and all the above enclosure sizes are listed, along with the sizes on the boxes, plus an image so you can see a general size and shape for each one.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

Ever since I saw them for the first time I've been crazy about the Hammond 1590TRPB and 1590TRPC. Those are the trapezoidal shaped ones, with a height about the same as a 125B. The 1590TRPC is especially cool for 2-in-1 builds, with loads of room for knobs, switches and stomps, and the height makes it easy to fit everything in. There also the 1590STPC (octagonal) which is really cool as well, but I haven't found something that would need such an enclosure. I keep looking though!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Gledison

Quote from: jkokura on October 01, 2013, 03:19:56 PM
Sizes go 1590B < 125B < 1590BB < 125BB < 1590Q < 1790NS < 1590DD < 1590D

There are other sizes, but all of these enclosures are available from the typical pedal supply stores, like Pedal Parts Plus. Actually, I highly recommend you head over to PPP and take a look at their enclosure area. There are some alternate enclosures from the list I just gave, and all the above enclosure sizes are listed, along with the sizes on the boxes, plus an image so you can see a general size and shape for each one.

Jacob
Hey Jacob,
thanks for this nice overview.
Regarding the PPP might be a little expensive due to shipping costs..i need to check.
have you used this Bongo international ?
cheers

jkokura

Sorry! I meant to recommend that you look at their site for the various enclosures that I've suggested, not that you have to buy from them! I do really like PPP in terms of their service, and certainly their products are superior, but I know that shipping is very expensive from them.

Never heard of Bongo International.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

RobA

Quote from: DutchMF on October 01, 2013, 04:15:51 PM
Ever since I saw them for the first time I've been crazy about the Hammond 1590TRPB and 1590TRPC. Those are the trapezoidal shaped ones, with a height about the same as a 125B. The 1590TRPC is especially cool for 2-in-1 builds, with loads of room for knobs, switches and stomps, and the height makes it easy to fit everything in. There also the 1590STPC (octagonal) which is really cool as well, but I haven't found something that would need such an enclosure. I keep looking though!!

Paul

I've been thinking of getting a couple of the trapezoidals because they do look cool. I haven't ordered andy yet though. I did get one of the STPC's and it is great. The problem is, I haven't used it yet because I keep thinking that I need to save it for something really slick. I love the way it looks. It would be good for a multi-pedal build too.

The 1590BBS is a good size. It's a 1590BB footprint with a 125B depth. I got it to do a (very tight) 3-in-1.  It would be a really good size for 2-in-1 builds if you want top routed jacks.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Gledison

Quote from: RobA on October 01, 2013, 05:52:08 PM
Quote from: DutchMF on October 01, 2013, 04:15:51 PM

Paul

I've been thinking of getting a couple of the trapezoidals because they do look cool. I haven't ordered andy yet though. I did get one of the STPC's and it is great. The problem is, I haven't used it yet because I keep thinking that I need to save it for something really slick. I love the way it looks. It would be good for a multi-pedal build too.

The 1590BBS is a good size. It's a 1590BB footprint with a 125B depth. I got it to do a (very tight) 3-in-1.  It would be a really good size for 2-in-1 builds if you want top routed jacks.
Hey RobA
any suggestions for a good combination of 2x1? 
cheers

DutchMF

I know I'm not RobA (really... ;) ) but my first suggestion would be your favourite Overdrive, combined with your favourite Clean Booster. Hook those up with a switch to change the order (OD-Boost, or Boost-OD) and you have so much different shades of grind at your disposal...... Love it!!

Paul

Gledison

Quote from: DutchMF on October 01, 2013, 06:45:01 PM
I know I'm not RobA (really... ;) ) but my first suggestion would be your favourite Overdrive, combined with your favourite Clean Booster. Hook those up with a switch to change the order (OD-Boost, or Boost-OD) and you have so much different shades of grind at your disposal...... Love it!!

Paul
hehe, your suggestion is highly welcome Paul!
I have little experience with seting up a pedal board (always play with a multieffect :S)
my first gues would be exactly what you said, a tube screamer with a booster. just don't get the idea what do you means with t he switches....do you have a layout ? hehehe
cheers mate

RobA

I know I'm not RobA (really... ;) ) ...
Are you sure?

Seriously though, using a distortion and a boost in the same box is pretty ideal. Closely related is my favorite 2-in-1, a Rangemaster and a Mangler (Fuzz Face) powered by one charge pump in a single 1590BB.

One way to think about it is any pair of pedals you are likely to use together is good. Another way to think about is to put two effects together in a box that you are sure you never will use at the same time. The order can't matter then and you still save board space.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

DutchMF

Quote from: RobA on October 01, 2013, 07:18:54 PM
Are you sure?
I used to be, but lately.......

@Gledison: check the attachment for the wiring of a 3PDT switch (could be a stomp, but I prefer a toggle) to switch the order of 2 fx in 1 box. If you have any more questions about wiring up more than 1 fx in a box, pm or email me, I love that stuff!

Paul

Gledison

Quote from: DutchMF on October 01, 2013, 07:24:47 PM
Quote from: RobA on October 01, 2013, 07:18:54 PM
Are you sure?
I used to be, but lately.......

@Gledison: check the attachment for the wiring of a 3PDT switch (could be a stomp, but I prefer a toggle) to switch the order of 2 fx in 1 box. If you have any more questions about wiring up more than 1 fx in a box, pm or email me, I love that stuff!

Paul
hey Paul, thanks a lot..
I will definetily need help..
thanks a lot!

soldersqueeze

I love the 1590XX from Hammond. Plenty of space!

alanp

1550G is good for hoooooge Lovetone stuff.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website