News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Russian germanium advice, where to get - in Russia...

Started by hammerheadmusicman, August 02, 2013, 12:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blkmagik98

I've had good luck with the GT108G's as well. I think they sound good, HFE's are in a good range, and the leakage is pretty low.

Michael

twin1965

Bought 100 gt108v's about a year ago and I concur with your results. These are pretty nifty little buggers!

Still have a bunch to test. Been looking on ebay and haven't seen any more on sale. Obviously popular.

blkmagik98

I bought a bunch of good transistors while gordelux had them, and most types that I have don't seem to be up on eBay now from any of the Russian sellers either.

Michael

catfud

I bought some gt108v trannies a while back and the measurements are great, but I found that the leads were too thin for the transistor sockets I had. Anyone got recommendations for sockets that fit? (to the gt108v owners)

chromesphere

although expensive, the mammoth TO-18 sockets will hold the gt108v....somewhat.  I find bending a 3-4 mm of leg over onto itself works better for socketing though.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

davent

Quote from: chromesphere on September 20, 2013, 10:45:49 PM
although expensive, the mammoth TO-18 sockets will hold the gt108v....somewhat.  I find bending a 3-4 mm of leg over onto itself works better for socketing though.

I bought some of those white/gold pin sockets from Effects Connection (less costly) but have the same problem as isaw in a review at Mammoth in that they just don't grab onto the leads very well. Only used one and that was in an LED tester but no way would rely on it to actaully hold something inside a pedal.  http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/shopping_cart.php?sort=2a
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

chromesphere

Quote from: davent on September 21, 2013, 03:59:13 AM
Quote from: chromesphere on September 20, 2013, 10:45:49 PM

I bought some of those white/gold pin sockets from Effects Connection (less costly) but have the same problem as isaw in a review at Mammoth in that they just don't grab onto the leads very well. Only used one and that was in an LED tester but no way would rely on it to actaully hold something inside a pedal.  http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/shopping_cart.php?sort=2a

Probably that's why I said "somewhat".  They are still the best sockets ive found though.  I use one in my ge hfe tester.  tester...HUNDREDS of transistor in that sucker.  Still has a firm grip of legs.  The GT108V (and GT309G another ripper Russian transistor btw) is the exception.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

garfo

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on August 02, 2013, 12:24:44 AM
So whilst on this long long residency. I made a Russian friend. A fellow guitarist. So we have exchanged emails etc.. He has said he is willing to get hold of stuff in Russia, and send it to me. So I was wondering,  does anyone know where to get germanium stuff from in Russia, maybe even Moscow. Also, what is the good stuff. As I haven't had too much experience with Ge mojo parts.

I know this is a strange post. But I thought some one here would know something.

Thanks!

George
Trust me, i'm a the russian expert.I've made different fuzzfaces with russian transistors.My adevnture with those started on a trip to Ukraine where I got different transistors.I can tell you now, that MP39 and 1T308B(militar version of GT308) are great as pnp and as a pair for FuzzfaceI've also built a fuzzface with germaniums npn, these ones are MP38A.They are very good and rare since they are germanium and npn.
I got the first ones in Ukraine and then, when I got back to Portugal I asked a friend of mine to send me a load of them.With the Mp39 more than half were dead and hfe is quite low.It's good if you find one measuring 60.1T308 is rock solid and if you find one that measures around 80hfe(these ones are specially aggressive) and pair it with a mp39 you'll be able to tweak a great fuzz box.

garfo

Forgot to mension, I couldn't find these trannies in any shop in Ukraine, I got them in a kind of old electronics yard sale in Donnetsk.
Just check the ones in Ebay.Later I ended up ordering a pair of 1T308B and they were tested and both had the same measurements and sounded great.