News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Jitters

Started by jimilee, September 28, 2013, 02:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Meet The Jitters! This was done for a friend, it's a ross phaser clone, I modded input and output caps for mass and brother is it ever. The etch design is a collaboration between me and phreek (on byoc) I was looking for the least amount of wiring possible, less points of failure. My buddy is a touring musician and I really wanted it to be almost fool proof. This is the proto type, the finished model has a common cathode blinky led that turns red when you turn it on and pulses green with the rate. We also moved the jack wiring from the bottom to the top. It works great! I don't know why more people don't incorporate onboard stomps when available (other than it's a lot of work and takes up lots of space!)  :P I also tried some automotive grade clear coat also, so far I am very impressed.
Anyway I didn't do an audio demo because it's boxed up and ready to ship to my buddy in Nashville. Hopefully he likes it, if not plan "b" is a stagefright.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

Very thoughtful design there, I like it :)

Just a couple questions -- what is the little scribble by the stomp, and are the unsoldered pads for future modding options?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

icecycle66

I really like the stock ross phaser.
I'd like to know what those in/out mods are and how they impact the effect.

Who etched the board?
That's clean.

jimilee

Quote from: alanp on September 28, 2013, 02:39:19 AM
Very thoughtful design there, I like it :)

Just a couple questions -- what is the little scribble by the stomp, and are the unsoldered pads for future modding options?
onboard led also. The guy that etched it put it on the wrong side, so I wired it back to the other side, the next one has a common cathode onboard LED.
Quote from: icecycle66 on September 28, 2013, 02:45:59 AM
I really like the stock ross phaser.
I'd like to know what those in/out mods are and how they impact the effect.

Who etched the board?
That's clean.
The mods really let a lot of bass through, almost a bass boost, it's very cool. I used a .1uf on the input and a 10 uf on the output, it's a pretty fat sound. It was etched by phreek over on BYOC. we collaberated and came up with this design / modification. He's a madman when it comes to this stuff.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

billstein

One of your nicest yet. Great job.

Gledison

Hey maaan!
very nice etch. The enclosure looks great as well.
did you spray clear lacquer on the top? how many coats?
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

DutchMF

"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

fendman

Hey Jimi that is tops!!!
Great work

Mike

Vallhagen

Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

bcalla

Nice work!  Is there a phaser design you haven't built?

pickdropper

Quote from: bcalla on September 28, 2013, 01:21:58 PM

I doubt it.  Rumor has it, that in the next Star Trek movie, their is a line that says "Set Phasers to Jimi."  ;D
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Quote from: bcalla on September 28, 2013, 01:21:58 PM
alanp has that monster phaser that sitting on my desk. And jmk had a super phaser under wraps for now, so that's the only 2 I can think of.
Set your phasers to Jimi and rock out!!!!
The clear coat is an automotive grade clear coat I tried out for he first time.  Very durable and dried fast.

billstein

Quote from: jimilee on September 28, 2013, 01:49:03 PM
The clear coat is an automotive grade clear coat I tried out for he first time.  Very durable and dried fast.

Do you like that better than the Envirotek?

phreek

jimilee

Quote from: billstein on September 28, 2013, 06:10:26 PM
Quote from: jimilee on September 28, 2013, 01:49:03 PM

Do you like that better than the Envirotek?
Nope, but I was doing for someone else and that would've added 3 more days and I needed to get it out in the post today.