News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Can the Stage Fright phaser be modded for an extra long sweep?...

Started by EdgarMadHook, September 12, 2013, 06:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdgarMadHook

That's it really.

I know that an MXR Phase 45 can be easily modded by inreasing capacitor values & lowering a resistor value.
Can the same be done with this circuit? I'd love to get close to a 30-45 second sweep length.

Scruffie

Yes, increase the values of C15 & 16.

The rules of series capacitors apply so you can double them or mix and match to increase the sweep length but not loose too many higher speeds, or put a switch between.
Works at Lectric-FX

EdgarMadHook

Fantastic!!!

So, they're each 10uF and the sweep (based loosely on what I hear from the YouTube demo) seems to be about 15 seconds long at it's slowest. I'd like to go higher than a 22uF cap, if possible. What's the next common size up & would that be OK?

Also, would I just switch out BOTH caps for higher values?

Thanks for your help!

Scruffie

Quote from: EdgarMadHook on September 12, 2013, 07:04:34 PM
Fantastic!!!

So, they're each 10uF and the sweep (based loosely on what I hear from the YouTube demo) seems to be about 15 seconds long at it's slowest. I'd like to go higher than a 22uF cap, if possible. What's the next common size up & would that be OK?

Also, would I just switch out BOTH caps for higher values?

Thanks for your help!
Yes, switch both, as I said, series capacitance rules apply, if you make them different values you'll end up with a fraction value.

33uF is probably fine for both, you will loose higher speeds though and the sweep will probably become less noticeable.
Works at Lectric-FX

EdgarMadHook

I'm not really bothered about loosing higher speeds. I'm not particularly keen on that side of the effect.
I'm just trying to find a good phaser build that's a little more interesting than the Phase 45 build I was going to do.

I've only ever socketed transistors before but I might try & socket the capacitors while I ticker with the levels.

Thanks for the quick advice.