News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zombii (aka fuzz fact..) bass mod.

Started by harrisxr650, August 07, 2013, 07:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harrisxr650

Hey guys. I'm looking to make a Zombii for my bass anyone can point me which caps (C1 and C4?) should i change and what value should i use? If its going to help my bass has active pups.
Thanks
Harris

LaceSensor

the input cap whichever that is on the schematic.

if its 10uF, make it 100uF...or if its 1uF, try 10uF. etc.

harrisxr650

c1 is the input cap and c4 is the output. original c1 is 10uf ( which will be 100uf as u suggest) and c4 is 10uf as well, should i leave c4 at 10uf or rise it a bit like 47 or more?
btw i was looking at the sabertooth layout and the post you made with the impedance pot  wiring here
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5291.0

do you think its a better idea to build the saber with the impedance matching pot than the zombii? i mean i like the saber but how much will affect its tone that extra pot? and what about the zombii will it work with active pups or will it need the same mod.
thanks i appreciate your help
Harris.

lincolnic

Speaking strictly from a sonic standpoint, you'll probably be happier with the Sabertooth. The Fuzz Factory is probably too thin and trebly to compliment a bass properly.

harrisxr650

one of my concerns was the one u mention, and besides i could change input-output caps on the zombii to make it have more lows my major concern was that my bass has active pups and might not sound good with either of the them. I'm leaning towards saber to be honest but if anyone tried this addition to the pedal
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5291.0
and wants to share his experience would be nice, thanks anyways man
Harris

LaceSensor

The woolly mammoth is better for bass in my opinion. You wont need the wierdo theremin sounds Id wager, and the woolly has loads of subs and sounds huge. You can get gated synthy sounds too.

the input control I describe in those links doesnt change the tone of the unit. It just matches it to the pickups you use. It is what ZVEX employ on their mastotron pedal so you can put it anywhere in an FX chain or use active bass pickups. Essentially its the same as a woolly. They also added a subs switch which just changes a cap, forget which one. I found the effect to be too subtle to bother, and I like the full on subs

harrisxr650

Thats all i need to know i'll get to work asap
thanks again
Harris

harrisxr650

btw one last question before i wire the impedance wrong :), the 100ohm resistor goes to input jack and the wires from pot 2,1 to the 3pdt or 3pdt to 100ohm,pot 2-1> pcb input?
thanks

LaceSensor

harrisxr650

oops sorry. i forgot to post that i already solder it  between 3pdt and PCB input ( common sense and how silly of me to ask). Anyway... Sabertooth its freaking awesome and with the impedance control its more versatile now. btw should i omit the 1Mohm input to ground resistor?
anyway thanks again Lace for any help you provide :)

harrisxr650

i found my self annoying right now but i will ask again...tried sabertooth with my guitar and sounds great also with my bass with active pups sound great, tried with a friends bass that has an active on board 3 band preamp and its really awful, muddy with no note definition and buzzy...is this normal? i mean  sabertooth doesn't like an active preamp even with the impedance control? note that i used 2n3904 trannies with 190hfe for q1 and 200 for q2 if it makes any difference.
thanks
Harris