News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY Audio Amp for Music

Started by fixxe, September 01, 2013, 04:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixxe

Hey Beans, I was thinking about building an audio amp (for listening to music) since I have have 2 speaker boxes standing around. Now I never had an audio amp myself, so I don't know about preamp or poweramp and what-not. What I want is an IN for normal audio and for vinyl-player.
So my question is, does anyone know about a great sounding kit that would fit the bill.

inb4 you're gonna kill yourself   :o

jkokura

I know there's a lot of audiophile forums out there for amps for music playing. Most of them are designed for either a stereo speaker setup or a pair of good headphones. Many of them are tube driven too. I also know there are a lot, and I mean a LOT of amplifier kits out there for MP3 and CD amplification. Taking a look on eBay will produce dozens of different options.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

fixxe

yeah, there's a lot.
but I dont even know what parts I need...
I know I want it to be a tube amp with the aforementioned features and on the cheaper side. So maybe you guys could help me out on where to start or what I need to search?
Since I'm european, I need to search for the right kit by myself anyways  ;D   (or maybe a fellow european knows about a good kit  8) )

pickdropper

What's your budget?  There are quite a few tubed hifi amp kits out there, but their pricing is often not cheap if they use decent iron.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

Merlin did an article for Audioxpress a number of years back on modding a cheap chinese tube hifi kit amp that may provide some useful info.
http://audioxpress.com/files/2009/07/blencowe2996.pdf

More then likely anything you find will be sans phono-pre so you'll need to build a seperate circuit for that. I've built this one (IC's) and run it off batteries, dead quiet,  works well, sounds great, compares well to another much more complicated discrete phono-pre i built.

http://phonoclone.com/diy-pho5.html

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

oldhousescott

None of these are cheap (no tube stuff is cheap -- it's the cost of the iron mostly), but if you're really interested:

Triode Electronics

davent

Another offering from AudioXpress, small, vintage, scratch built 3watt tube amp using 6aq5's for output tubes. Preamp and power amp, still need a seperate phono-pre.

http://calendar.bic.caltech.edu/~gbelford/AudioXPress-3watt-TubeAmp-stewart.pdf
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

fixxe

thanks for all the replies guys!  :)
but I'm still a kind of draw-by-numbers-guy. That chinese amp isn't to be had in europe as far as I've seen.
And I guess I would be able to vero that AudioXpress project if I put my entire skill-set into it ;D, but I wouldn't know how to connect the preamp to the power section or how to get 135 volts and stuff like that. Plus, does it have enough power?
What I would like is something like this with a little more documentation, I guess  :-\
But all your suggestions were pretty good so far!

Budget-wise I want to be around 150euros