News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tubes, where to buy?

Started by Matt, July 28, 2013, 08:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atreidesheir

I hate to answer you in the opposite side, but the new Tung Sols supposedly have low failure rates.  Sovteks are famous for not being awesome, but are rugged and reliable.  EH looks exactly the same as sovtek in most models.  JJ's are good.  but 12ax7's are dark.  SHuguang tubes seem to last a long time in my amps.  I do not really know any new tubes that are terrible.  Even the Chinese no-names work well now, used to be bad stuff.

I would look at Ruby Tube because they are JJ or Shuguang, but they are double sorted by the manufacturer (rough bulk) and then handpicked and checked a second time (by wholesalers) and given the Ruby label sticker.  Gives the buyer two chances to weed out a dud.   
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

gordo

Triode Electronics is great for tubes as well.  They're in the Chicago suburbs and service, quality, and prices are all really good.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Matt

Quote from: atreidesheir on August 01, 2013, 12:08:32 AM
I hate to answer you in the opposite side, but the new Tung Sols supposedly have low failure rates.  Sovteks are famous for not being awesome, but are rugged and reliable.  EH looks exactly the same as sovtek in most models.  JJ's are good.  but 12ax7's are dark.  SHuguang tubes seem to last a long time in my amps.  I do not really know any new tubes that are terrible.  Even the Chinese no-names work well now, used to be bad stuff.

I would look at Ruby Tube because they are JJ or Shuguang, but they are double sorted by the manufacturer (rough bulk) and then handpicked and checked a second time (by wholesalers) and given the Ruby label sticker.  Gives the buyer two chances to weed out a dud.

Great info, thanks!
Matt

TNblueshawk

I get my NOS from this guy   http://www.audiotubes.com/

But even if you don't poke around and check out his info on tubes. I'm too dumb to know what is what but dude has spent countless hours on his craft if nothing else.
John