News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Waste of time? Repair knobs/set screw

Started by Beedoola, August 21, 2013, 04:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

I ordered some of those Davies clones from bitcheslovemyswitches and pretty much all of them failed; the screws won't stay tight. Instead of making another order just for knobs (or convincing myself I need to build more stuff : D ) I wanted to try and repair the screw holes.

Any recommendations on how to do this or what product to use?

DutchMF

I should get back to the BLMS dude if I were you. From what I've read from his site, he's pretty big on customer satisfaction. But I would not know a proper way to fix those knobs without them looking really ugly...

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

GhostofJohnToad

I think those davies clones are notorious for that.  I have had quite a few from various sources, Mammoth and Tayda fail the same way.  I've thought about just putting some super glue in a portion of the hole and then after it dried trying to re-thread them with the screw.  Another thing I haven't gotten around to trying.

Beedoola

Quote from: GhostofJohnToad on August 21, 2013, 04:54:12 PM
I think those davies clones are notorious for that.  I have had quite a few from various sources, Mammoth and Tayda fail the same way.  I've thought about just putting some super glue in a portion of the hole and then after it dried trying to re-thread them with the screw.  Another thing I haven't gotten around to trying.

yeah, the BLMS guy even discloses they have a fail rate and that it is good to order extras, but like all but 2 (out of 7) failed. Tayda's held up a bit better.

I was thinking I might be some epoxy in there and then hope that makes it stronger.

davent

Dan Erlewine (StewMac) uses baking soda with super glue to repair nuts, fix stipped pickguard holes etc. You might try putting a bit of baking soda in the hole then flowing in some water-thin super glue, you'll then need to recut the thread if, the superglue works with the plastic of the knob.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

Lawrence is a stand up guy. You contact him if all of them failed but 2.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.