News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Red Snarkdoodle

Started by stevewire, August 15, 2013, 11:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewire

Finished this up last night.  Had been sitting on my bench partially populated for a long time.  After testing, I reduced the input cap.  I do not play my Telecaster often.  I play my guitars with P90s a lot more.  Well, my Tele likes this pedal.  So I might play it more often.

I switched out the CD4049UBE for a Fairchild CD4049UBCN.  I felt there was a little more clarity in the high end.  It did take a moment to switch them, so I wouldn't place any bets on that perception.

wolfingsworth

Something about this is so classy! I love the white knobs on that color of red. Well executed and clean guts too!

alanp

I thought it was covered with red dyed leather at first!

That looks really nice!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jkokura

That's clean. I like.

Any reason for the 9mm pots? You had space for 24mm for goodness sake.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jprizz

^yeah, my first thought of the gut shot was "where's the rest of it?" Ha!

I really dig the textured finish. And really, who doesn't like a red pedal??? Looks great.

stevewire

Hey Jacob,
Yes, some 24mm pots would have been cool.  The 9mm were what I had on hand, just like those jacks.  I built this circuit out of curiosity.  It may never make it as a regular on my pedal board.  Certainly could make an interesting character tone on a recording.

It sounds great.  I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression.  

wolfingsworth,
The knobs are cream, but only very slightly.  The photography does not help.  I can really only tell when it is next to white.  I was hoping for a more buttery cream.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.  Much appreciated.

DutchMF

This is a really cool build! I'm diggin' the enclosure a lot, and not to mention the cool caps you have in there (Mica's and WIMA's, not?). Two questions: Where did you get that nicely textured enclosure, and do you think this is a loud pedal? I built one myself some time ago, and liked the sound, but it was too loud to be of any practical use with the rest of my setup. If there's a solution for that problem, it would be on my board to stay! Oh, and the knobs are very classy as well....

Paul

"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

stevewire

Hey Paul,
Thank you.  I usually purchase my enclosures from Pedal Parts Plus.  They have the best finishes that I can find.  I am always looking for some other sources.  And yes the red caps are WIMA MKP2s.

Yes, it is loud.  I haven't had time to try it out in a band situation.  I could see it not being very complimentary to the other pedals in getting a balance between different tones.  It sounds good with my Telecaster, but I don't use that much and kind of picture the use of this pedal working better in a recording situation.  Besides dropping the input cap down to 47n I haven't tried any other mods.  I'd like to get just a hair more treble.  I think it is in there, but the low end overwhelms it.  I've been considering changing the resistor coming from the 9v down to 100R for more headroom; although, that could make it louder.