News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sin Screamer - 1590A Screamin' Baby

Started by Stomptown, August 03, 2013, 08:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stomptown

Hey madbeaners, here is a new one I put together from the Screamin' Baby PCB. It's a stock Tube Screamer designed for a 1590A, based off of the open source schematic Brian posted in the extra projects forum. Thanks again Brian! It sounds great; much better than my tonepad screamer which barely gets above unity volume. I had to get a little creative to fit it in the 1590A with PCB mounted pots on this one. In order to use the right angle 9mm alphas I had to cut off the metal mouting pins on the bottom side of the pots and I elected to place the electrolitic caps on the bottom side of the PCB so there was ample room for the 9VDC jack at the top of the ecnlosure. I also ran out of 1uF MLCC's so I soldered the larger box caps to the bottom side of the board as well. All and all a great solution when your components are larger than the space provided (as long as the pots aren't in the way!). I threw up a pic of the bottom side of the PCB so you can see what I'm talking about. The artwork is from Frank Miller's Sin City. It's Marv! I have used this one in the past on TS-808's I've made but this is the first one I've etched, which means I'm keeping this one for myself (I hate waterslide decals!).  ;D

croquet hoop

Super nice. I love that you soldered the big box caps on the other side of the board — when I designed my own 808 PCB, I was close to resorting to that option, but I finally found enough space on the board for big caps. But it's nice to see that it works!

The etching is top notch too. And I love the LED placement.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

ch1naski

Awesomeness.
I would have just thrown my hands in the air and put it in a 1590b,

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

jimilee

Man, that's fantastic! Nice thinking outside the box
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

Thanks guys!

Quote from: ch1naski on August 04, 2013, 04:08:58 AM
Awesomeness.
I would have just thrown my hands in the air and put it in a 1590b,
Yeah, I'm working on a 1590B design now. I'm not sure why I've been so fixated on 1590A's; I guess I like the challenge!

I actually just replaced the tonepad PCB in my 1590B tube screamer with one of these boards and it sounds a million times better. I'm not sure what I did wrong when I build that tonepad board but something was off. Anyway, I soldered leads onto the tone pot and mounted it to the PCB and then wired the gain and volume off board. It worked great!

Here are some pics:

billstein

Really like the weathered look on the box. Great stuff.

hammerheadmusicman

Great builds! I've just done an eagle layout for a 1590A TS808, a few months ago have done quite a few 1590A layouts in eagle for my baby board.

These builds look so good!

I built two tone pad TS's and I never thought they sounded right either..

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

pickdropper

I really like your board layouts, Jon.  Mounting the caps on the bottom of the board was a clever solution and showed good planning with the pot locations.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Stomptown

Quote from: pickdropper on August 04, 2013, 01:15:23 PM
I really like your board layouts, Jon.  Mounting the caps on the bottom of the board was a clever solution and showed good planning with the pot locations.

Thanks Dave! There was a little planning and a little luck as well. I really designed this one for 1uF MLCC's but I was too impatient to wait for my order to arrive! As far as the electros go I just remembered my mkii build and how tight it was to squeeze my 9VDC jack in there with the electros in the same place and the light bulb came on!

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on August 04, 2013, 09:19:13 AM

I built two tone pad TS's and I never thought they sounded right either..

It's funny how little info I was able to find on the web as far as solutions go. I think it is just a problem inherent to the Tone Pad layout because there are definitely other people who have had the same issues but no workaround that I'm aware of. I did try a few things (i.e. swapping transistors, changing caps/resistors), but nothing made a significant difference.