News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Paua

Started by cooder, July 26, 2013, 09:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

First to the name:
Paua is the Maori name for New Zealand Abalone and a real Kiwi icon, a pretty and yummy sea snail http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%81ua and it's pronounced pretty much like 'power' in English. Many of you might have some paua shell inlays on your guitars as fretboard markers or so.
So I thought that's a good name for this unassuming box...

Built this powersupply based on Tonepad board with Chromosphere anti hum board to boot, started as a slightly blemished red powdercoated enclosure, did (of course, Mr. Murphy and his laws...) a few more scratches as I filled the holes square, so decided to put a coarse sanding disc to it and maybe finish it with something else.
After the sanding I thought 'well that looks actually cool in it's kinda raw industrial look' so I left it and thought it's a bit of a Cinderella by accident...
Really had a laugh that the inside was still perfect ferrari red, which of course as all avid TGP readers will assure us, makes electrons more competitive and hormonally charged, resulting in swifter turns in tight corners and adds even more to the magic of the Klon centaur and similar enigmas....

I scored this LED display voltmeter of evilbay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290904545866?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
and put that in as a sorta fancy indicator, when everythin rolls fine the display glows happily blue and shows the dialed in voltage. I set it with internal trimpot to 9.4 V as that's what most fresh batteries pump out I believe.
I checked the accuracy of that voltmeter against my benchtop Fluke meter and it's pretty darn close...
When there's a short or some other trouble the display will let me know.

Goes nicely and humfree, the LM317 puts out 1500 mA (says the datasheet), I poewer the box with a 2A 15V digital switching wallwart.
Nice project and recommend the Tonepad project and Chromosphere's hum pellet thingy!
Cheers

BigNoise Amplification

the3secondrule

Ka pai bro! looking good  ;)

nice work on the square holes for the dc jacks especially  :o

J
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Vallhagen

Paua toda peepah!

Great job. And, yea, red is faster, especially on the inside! Almost human.

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

midwayfair

Big square holes and das blinken lights?

Noice.  :)

lincolnic

Square holes? Nice.

hammerheadmusicman

Cool project! I'm deffo gonna do one of these!

Is that two different boxes? I notice all the square holes are cut on the unfinished box, and the half way cut  holes on the red box? Did you make two?

EDIT: Just re-read the text, ignore most of the above!

Good work!

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

billstein

Love this. I want to build one! And thanks for teaching me that red makes the electrons "more competitive and hormonally charged". From now on every pedal of mine is going to be red!

***runs off to buy a case of Ferrari Red spray paint***

cooder

Thanks for the comments, it's a great powersupply, simple and yet great working. I've built one before and have been using it for a while, this is my backup and pedal testing unit.
The wallwart would need at least 12 V, I run mine with 15 V as said and that goes well.
Cheers
BigNoise Amplification

kothoma

It's better this way, a glowing red power supply would make me constantly nervous.

Nice file job on all these square holes!

alanp

Square holes are buggers to file, so props for that alone! (The rest of the work is pretty decent as well :) )
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jtn191

sorry to revive the topic, but sweet build!

stevewire

Hey Cooder,
It looks awesome. 

cooder

Cheers guys, and it powers all the pedals just nicely...
:)
BigNoise Amplification

chromesphere

Nice job on the square holes cooder!  I just built a tonepad power supply last week but I chickened out and went with round 12mm's.  Love the display!

Edit: forgot to mention. Neither the tonepad psu or the power pellet removed 100% of the noise. They both remove majority of the noise on there own but not all of it. Together though I can get battery like silence! Finally...the holy grail :D

I have videos/demos of all this stuff in the upload list along with 20 other videos ill move them to the front.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube