News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Direct Box layout

Started by jimilee, July 21, 2013, 03:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I know it's probably cheaper to buy one, but is there a layout for a direct box with high impedance and low impedance outs? Plan B was to buy one a rehouse it. Someone contacted me and wants a pedal built with high and low impedance outs. Oh and 5 stomps and a headphone amp  in one box and he wants a deal on it. It's most likely not going to happen, but it's an interesting concept none the less.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

If you don't need line level: Just make a buffer ... it'll do the same thing.

Otherwise, you can make one that's literally just a transformer and some jacks. I really don't think you'd need a layout for that sort of thing.

lincolnic

Quote from: midwayfair on July 21, 2013, 03:26:22 AM
If you don't need line level: Just make a buffer ... it'll do the same thing.

Otherwise, you can make one that's literally just a transformer and some jacks. I really don't think you'd need a layout for that sort of thing.

Yep, and here is that one: http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/store/kits/ferrite-passive-di/

oldhousescott

Lots of good info at the Jensen Transformer site. Their transformers are top-notch and are priced accordingly. For DI use, you could probably rehouse a RAPCO or ART (or dare I say Behringer) DI into your project, using the above info.

lincolnic

Quote from: oldhousescott on July 21, 2013, 07:40:47 PM
Lots of good info at the Jensen Transformer site. Their transformers are top-notch and are priced accordingly. For DI use, you could probably rehouse a RAPCO or ART (or dare I say Behringer) DI into your project, using the above info.

This too. At my studio we have two DIs we built with Jensen transformers, and just a couple of days ago I A/B'd them against the Cinemag transformer in the Ferrite DI - honestly, I think I prefer the Jensens, but they're both useful. The Cinemag has more of the super low sub frequencies (under 60 Hz), but the Jensens have a faster transient response and are brighter. The Cinemag would probably be closer to a more vintage (like, 60s-ish) sound, while the Jensens are more modern and versatile.

jkokura

I have a pair of DI's, a Radial JDI (uses the Jensen) and a ProDI similar circuit with a non-Jensen transformer. I can hear the difference. It's minimal, really can't tell in the Gym acoustics of my church, but in recordings I can totally hear the diff. I lined the two up, and then also used the direct in of my interface/preamps. Radial JDI was open, clear, and healthy sounding. The ProDI and the Presonus Direct in had a similar sound. Neither was bad, just not as good as the JDI with the Jensen.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimilee

I have a radial bassbone di that I use. Really happy with it.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Vallhagen

There are solutions built up around an OPamp as well. Craig Anderton has schematics in his "DIY Projects for guitarrists" (google it if you dont have the book).

...not saying an OPamp-Circuit can compare in quality with jensen transformer-Circuits... just saying that it can be done :)

Cheers

Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/