News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Reliable Asian ebay sellers?

Started by dropanchor812, July 12, 2013, 06:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dropanchor812

So, as I'm sure you are all aware you can stock up big time for cheap on ebay from some of these Asian distributors on parts.  I was looking to buy some of these multi-value parts lots just so I didn't have to order a single 56k resistor every time I start a new project.  Anyone know of reliable distributors for this sort of thing?  I was looking at this posting...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10M-1120pcs-56-Values-1-4W-0-25W-1-Metal-Film-Resistors-Assorted-kit-Set-/120962771537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c29f16a51

Even though some of them are multi-value lots they don't explicitly say that the parts are labeled with the value.  I know it would be wise to measure them all anyways if they are coming from a distributor like this, but yeah.  Also, I know that ordering jacks and switches may be kinda sketchy with these sort of distributors, but I felt a little more confident with passives.  So, in the expert wisdom of the folks on this board, what do you say?

billstein

From what I see (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) a lot of the values in that set aren't that common in pedal building. Then you get only 20 of those we use constantly such as 10k.

I would look at what you want to build, maybe 5 or 6 pedals. Do some sort of spreadsheet to determine the numbers and order from Tayda. Their site is extremely easy to navigate and their cheap and their shipping rates are the best. Then order 2-3-4 times what you need, depending upon how much you want to spend. After awhile you'll build up a stock of the parts you'll need again and again.

Also, if you don't have a particular value you can solder resistors together in series to get the value you need.

GermanCdn

Yeah, more than 60% of those values you will likely never use, and they're missing a pile of the ones you will.  Go the Tayda route.

Safe bets on values you will need

100R
470R
1k (high usage)
10k (probably use the most)
510k (typically in TS)
1M
2.2M
10M

Any assortment that doesn't contain all of those values at the very least is not worth the money.

You will use a bunch of other values as well, so like Bill said, getting a list together is a good thing, and then just order those in multiples of 10.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

dropanchor812

Thanks for the wisdom guys!  You're the best, firrealz.

-Russ 

jkokura

I look at it from a Math point of view, economically at least.

1120 resistors for 9.90 works out to about $0.009, or just less than one penny a resistor. That's not terrible, but considering that you can get resistors for a penny each at Tayda... That's not as much savings as you might expect.

Until you get down to the 2/3 or 1/2 a penny per resistor and all of the values are useful, it's not quite a good deal yet.

I've talked about it before, but my first big stock up of resistors was from ebay. $9 got me 3000 resistors, plus $11 for shipping. I was able to choose ALL the values I wanted. Minimum was 50 from a selection of values I chose. Because of that, I only got useful values, and I was able to get lots of specific values (like 4.7K, 10K, 100K, 1M). That was 2/3 a penny each, and it was a good deal. $20 well spent.

That link you have above is not as good a deal. What I suggest you do is go look at any one of those bulk sellers and send them a note saying, "Can you put together a package of these (x, y, z, etc) values? I need these values, and this many of them. Can you do it for $X.XX?"

If they respond yes, you've got a deal. If not, then go with Tayda when they have a %15 off sale. You'll get pretty much free shipping and will be able to choose the values you actually need.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals