News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Daydreaming about a 12-string emu

Started by jubal81, June 20, 2013, 11:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

I won't have time to start experimenting for quite a while, but I've been thinking about how to go about designing a circuit that will sound something remotely like a 12-string emulator.

I had a micro pog, but it sounded too digital for my ears. I know there's no way to get really close to a 12-string sound, but I think it might be possible to get as close as the Woody does to acoustic (the analogy I'm using to rationalize this daydream)

My first thought is something along the lines of a splitter into two separately EQ'd outputs into an auto, optical panner and a PT2399 on a VERY short delay. Maybe not exactly a 12-string sound, but it would be really thick.

Any ideas?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

fendman

Hey Jason, Perhaps Thomas_H could help you. He seems to like a challenge. I would be interested to hear his views on what you are outlining.

Mike

RobA

I've designed digital effects that do octave generation. I really can't think of a way to do this without direct control of the data buffers. You don't really get that with the PT2399's do you?

One thing that you could do using the PT2399's would be to make a stereo chorus that has four voices with quadrature LFO's (sin, cos, -sin, -cos). Two of the voices go out the left and two out the right (sin, cos, to one side and -sin, -cos to the other). It's not a 12 string, but it is really lush. The problem with this is that to do it using PT2399's it's going to take four of them.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).