News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Low Rider Idea: Trading 2 Octaves Down for Better Tracking

Started by BrownMagicMurad, July 19, 2013, 12:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrownMagicMurad

I had a thought as I reading the schematic of the Low Rider, in preparation for my build. It seems that the 2 octave down section is taken off the output of the 1 octave down.

What if we were to instead put the "2 octave down" section in parallel with the 1 octave down? We could also put a high pass filter in front of one section, and a low pass in front of the other.  They can be tuned to have the same corner frequency, a bit of overlap, or even a slight gap. Experimentation is in order.

Of course the mixing resistors (R46 and R55) can be adjusted. This mod can easily be implemented by lifting  one end of C14, and inserting the filter right after the capacitor. C18 however needs to be connection the input end of C14, then having the filter succeed it just as we did in the other section.

Essentially, this mod puts the octave down sections in parallel, affection different parts of the fret board. Depending in the filtering, this could make power chords or at least 5ths track better. Obviously the filter isn't going to track where we are perfectly. But for extra hacking points, you can have the filter(s) be controllable via external pots or even rig up a simple passive crossover.

Any thoughts?