News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy Deluxe w/ relay bypass

Started by dondougie, February 17, 2014, 02:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dondougie

Finally, it's alive!

I ran into several problems with this one, like a DOA MN3008, premature oscillation (had to do it :P) and excessive clock noise, but now everything's fine (thanks to Scruffie).

This ABDX started out with MN3008 BBD's but I wasn't really happy with the limited delay time, so I took the plunge and ordered a couple of MN3005's from Funkward-Tech on eBay. Well, they showed up today after four weeks of waiting, and they are the real deal (The BBD gods must have heard my prayers).

The repeats sound great and it has more delay time on tap than my Multiplex Jr., more than I'll ever need. The enclosure is a stock powdercoated Hammond 1590BB, and it was a challenge to fit it all in there; I found a place for the Road Rage near the output jack and the relay PCB had to sit on top of the switch, so it isn't as tidy as I would have preferred, but hey, it works and I like it ;)

The relay board is really nice, too, and I'm going to order more and upgrade some of my other pedals. Overall, a great pedal, and my first useable analog Delay. I have an MN3205 Dirtbag with all the mods that has virtually no headroom, but I LOVE the sound of it with the guitar volume rolled down. Now I can't wait for the new Dirtbag PCB to try the MN3005's and put the 3008's in here again; I think that'll cover all my needs for slapback and longer modulated delays.

mattlee0037

Awesome! I can't wait to get started on my dirtbag soon! Just seems a pain to source BBDs. What relay did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dondougie

Thanks! I used the Panasonic relay from the BOM, but there are others not mentioned that also work fine, like the 5V Takamisawa.