News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer output

Started by jingyjangy, June 17, 2013, 07:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jingyjangy

I built the Kingslayer board and it sounds fantastic, however, I have just one small issue. There is too much output level. It reaches unity gain at only 9:30 or 1/4 turn up from completely off. Where can I adjust output level in the circuit?

rullywowr

It's part of the Kingslayer/Klon "charm".  The extra output volume is useful for kicking the front end of a tube amp into overdrive bliss.  If you want to have a larger range of adjustment you could try swapping out the 10kB volume pot for a 50kB or 50kA even.  If that isn't enough, try a 100kB or kA.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

alanp

If you think that's loud you should try the VCO Out on the Ring Stinger. Even with the amp on dead nothing, it was coming through LOUD.

I suspect part of the klon design is to get overdrive through either the pedal itself ("Gain"), or by boosting the hell out of the amp (like a SHO or Rangemaster), with tone control from the klon for both.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jingyjangy

Hey, a little extra boost is always a good thing but unity at only 1/4 turn seems a bit much.  :o  Isn't there a resistor value that I can swap out to knock the volume down a skosh? If I could get the volume to reach unity gain at 10:30-11:00 I would be happy-happy joy-joy!

midwayfair

Quote from: rullywowr on June 17, 2013, 07:34:18 PM
It's part of the Kingslayer/Klon "charm".  The extra output volume is useful for kicking the front end of a tube amp into overdrive bliss.  If you want to have a larger range of adjustment you could try swapping out the 10kB volume pot for a 50kB or 50kA even.  If that isn't enough, try a 100kB or kA.

This is backwards -- a smaller pot means less output volume. OP, just use a log taper pot, 10ka. It'll bet at unity about 12:00 with gain at 0.