News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NAD!

Started by raulduke, June 06, 2013, 10:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

Finally treated myself to a new amp!

Orange OR-15 head. This thing sounds AMAZING  :o!

Plus it looks damn cool to boot... I'm not embarassed to say that was one of the major appeals to me  ;D

There is plenty (ok... loads) of gain on tap, but wick down the gain, wack up the master volume, and you get a really nice clean tone.

I also tried an Egnater tweaker, but it just didn't do it for me personally (I found it to be kind of a jack of all trades, master of none). Really, really nice and versatile amp though.

The Orange seems to take pedals well (as far as I can tell), although I haven't tried any old school fuzz through it yet (fuzz face, Tonebender etc.).

I also treated myself to a matching open back 2x12 cab loaded with Vintage 30's, as the one I was using (VOX 1x12 cab that came with my AC4) just wasn't doing it for me.

I went for a head and cab as opposed to a combo as it means I can still easily use my Ampmaker heads (Se-5a and WF55) that I built.

One happy bunny over here; I frickin love this amp!  :)

angrykoko

Congratulations!!!!

It is one amazing little amp!  You have almost the exact same setup as me, the only difference is I have the closed back 2x12 cab.

As far as pedals, the only one I really don't like so far is the Tonebender I just finished as it sounds very muffled on the orange (and it's crazy bright on my blackstar... weird).  My favorite pedal combo is Guitar->Fat Pants->Cherry Bomb.  The amp sounds so good just by it's self though that I tend to just use it naked a lot (with the exception of a reverb or delay in the effects loop).

I too am guilty of being swayed by the looks... don't fight it man... just embrace the orange of it  ;D

Seriously though, your going to find yourself loving this amp so much you'll catch yourself wakening up spooning it (err... maybe that's saying too much :) ).

Enjoy!

Koko
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Cortexturizer

It's like...my dream setup. Congrats Steve, fantastic amp and cab, would kill for one :D
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

raulduke

Quote from: angrykoko on June 06, 2013, 10:34:11 AM
Congratulations!!!!

It is one amazing little amp!  You have almost the exact same setup as me, the only difference is I have the closed back 2x12 cab.

As far as pedals, the only one I really don't like so far is the Tonebender I just finished as it sounds very muffled on the orange (and it's crazy bright on my blackstar... weird).  My favorite pedal combo is Guitar->Fat Pants->Cherry Bomb.  The amp sounds so good just by it's self though that I tend to just use it naked a lot (with the exception of a reverb or delay in the effects loop).

I too am guilty of being swayed by the looks... don't fight it man... just embrace the orange of it  ;D

Seriously though, your going to find yourself loving this amp so much you'll catch yourself wakening up spooning it (err... maybe that's saying too much :) ).

Enjoy!

Koko

Ha ha cheers dude.

I love the amp already thats for sure. Need to try some Fuzz with it though and see how it handles.

Took it to a rehearsal last night (just started a Jam band with my brother, who kills on drums) and it cleans up really well. Don't need no stinking clean channel when you have a volume control  ;)

I imagine that the Orange look is a love/hate thing. Personally I love em'.

Cortexturizer

Quote from: raulduke on June 06, 2013, 10:51:40 AM

Took it to a rehearsal last night (just started a Jam band with my brother, who kills on drums) and it cleans up really well. Don't need no stinking clean channel when you have a volume control  ;)

Amen.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

jubal81

Big grays, bud. That is one sweet setup. I'd never heard of Orange amps, much less seen one, when I saw Tim Sult playing through one back in '98 and it was the most badass thing I'd ever seen.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

alanp

Aesthetically, Orange gear tends to be Vegemite. You either like them, or think the guy showing it to you is trying to poison your eyes.

Glad to hear you're getting on well with the new amp :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website