News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clogged Spray Nozzle

Started by billstein, June 06, 2013, 10:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Just went to spray some clear polyurethane on a face plate and the nozzle was all clogged up. I've only used a minimum amount out of this can.  >:( Anybody have any ideas how to clear it.

Parra

you can try with a thin needle, if that doesn't work you could try to take it off the can and dunk it in diluent (maybe it's not the right name for it, i wanna say the stuff you use to clean the synthetic paint off brushes and stuff).

with the cans you're using it's possible to change the nozzles? i think that is the simplest route.

atreidesheir

acetone or alcohol will work overnight if they are handy for you.
The needle works sometimes.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

davent

I used to just take the nozzles off onced cleared after painting and chuck them into a very small jar of lacquer thinner or isopropyl alcohol 'til needed again. After the night soak suggested above, you might try compressed air to help clear out the residue. Pretty sure you can purchase new nozzles as well so you don't have to ditch a good can of spray.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

wgc

Turn the can upside down and spray after you're done painting to clear the tube and nozzle.  It should take about 20 sec for paint to stop and only air to come out.  You can sometimes open a clogged nozzle this way too.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

selfdestroyer

I use lacquer thinner and a little E guitar string to poke and prod. works for me.

billstein

Got is soaking in acetone right now. If that doesn't work I'll get an E string out and give it a try.

Thanks guys