News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer different schematics

Started by BorisG, May 26, 2013, 12:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BorisG

Hello everyone,I am building Kingslayer,but there are different schematics at Freestompboxes and they claim this is THE original.I understand KIngslayer is not pure clone ,but capacitor values in tone shaping cirquits are very different.Is this intentional or...Did someone build both ways... :-\?Thank you!  Boris

midwayfair

Just socket the 5.6nF if you're curious. Bean notes that people like different values there anyway. I like a smaller cap, some people like a larger value.

BorisG

Thanks for the input! Usually I experiment with different values ,but this time C3,C4,C5,C6,C7,C8,C11,C12 are different-http://freestompboxes.org/members/soulsonic/schematic/KlonCentaur-5-24-08b.gif and people claim that these values are the correct ones ( at least to the original) .

midwayfair

Quote from: BorisG on May 26, 2013, 10:48:42 AM
Thanks for the input! Usually I experiment with different values ,but this time C3,C4,C5,C6,C7,C8,C11,C12 are different-http://freestompboxes.org/members/soulsonic/schematic/KlonCentaur-5-24-08b.gif and people claim that these values are the correct ones ( at least to the original) .

Well, to start with:, from the build doc:

"The Kingslayer is a highly modified version of the Klon Centaur." (emphasis mine)

Second, you need to realize that there are several factors that can contribute to a tonal response and that there's more than one way to create a filtering network. The supply voltage in the KS is different from the K, so just reverting to old capacitor values might not do the same thing.

However, the capacitors in the audio path, except for the 5.6nF cap, are all the same as the verified, traced schematic that everyone uses; it's even been verifies against the KTR. I can't get that link you posted to work, but I just double checked and there aren't changes to c3-c7 at least. There is an incorrect schematic somewhere on FSB. It was corrected in like 2008, though.

BorisG

OK ,I found the answer-there are two identical schematics with different values and,off course,I am looking at the wrong one.Everything is clear now.Must always read the fine print.Correct is from 4/15/2009. Thanks midwayfair your input was very helpful!