News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Single pot multiple effects?

Started by selfdestroyer, May 13, 2013, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

I was thinking, Is it possible to have, lets say a enclosure with 2 effects and they are wired for either/or and not paralleled. Is it possible to have one set of controls for both pedals? Like one gain pot that is connected to both effects. Will a duel gain work or can I just wire up both to the same lugs on a standard pot? Just a thought.

jimilee

Dual gang pots maybe? Edit:oh yeah you said that didn't you
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

nieradka

I cant see why a dual gang pots wouldnt work. Hooking up to the same set of lugs seems problematic , say if one pedal has a connection to a shared ground, on say pin2, and the other pedal's pin2 is not intended to go to ground. It will in that case go to ground, cause there is no resistance, even if pedal 2 is powered on and pedal 1 is not.    

murdog47

Single gang would not work. You would have to use dual gang pots.

Scruffie

I'm about to do just this, One Knob Fuzz Face & Mosrite Fuzzrite each with half an A500k Dual Gang Volume pot and then a switch to toggle between the two circuits. No different than true bypass you just have to ignore the other half the pot & circuit when one or the other is engaged.

That is the only issue, making sure the designs use the same pot values, although you can alter the value of the pot with parallel resistance if needed. A dual gang is just two pots controlled by one knob at the end of the day.
Works at Lectric-FX

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Scruffie on May 13, 2013, 09:16:21 PM
I'm about to do just this, One Knob Fuzz Face & Mosrite Fuzzrite each with half an A500k Dual Gang Volume pot and then a switch to toggle between the two circuits. No different than true bypass you just have to ignore the other half the pot & circuit when one or the other is engaged.

That is the only issue, making sure the designs use the same pot values, although you can alter the value of the pot with parallel resistance if needed. A dual gang is just two pots controlled by one knob at the end of the day.

That's pretty much what I want to do. But I want to control 3 pedals.

Scruffie

Quote from: selfdestroyer on May 13, 2013, 10:28:41 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on May 13, 2013, 09:16:21 PM

That's pretty much what I want to do. But I want to control 3 pedals.
That's... getting more complicated, a lot more.
Works at Lectric-FX

pickdropper

Yeah, I'm on the middle of a build with a dual gang as well.  No reason it shouldn't work as long as the values and taper are correct.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

nieradka

Triple and quad, (and more) ganged pots do exist ive seen them, mostly at electronics surplus stores, but why would you want to do this? The space you save by cramming them in an enclosure with a rotary switch, isnt going to be much over having 3 smaller pedals, no?