News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BEN (Slow Loris), my first fully customized pedal!

Started by H.E.L.Shane, May 09, 2013, 03:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H.E.L.Shane

I've built the "Chunk Chunk" and the "Pork Barrel", both of which I am using, but this is the first pedal I added graphics to and completely "finished".

Its a slow loris RAT madbean board and I built it exactly as spec'd, and i'm VERY happy with it, so I'm not going to mod it any further so I added graphics and finished the box!!!

Since its a RAT... i decided to use the graphics from the old movie "Ben" as I remembered that the poster was pretty creepy!   Like a few other guys, I also decided to show off the LED's.  In Ben's case, I drilled a 1/16th hole through his eyes, and then used a bullet grinder on a dremel to create a socket for the LEDs to sit in behind.  It turned out really cool.  The LEDS sit flush with the graphic and when they are off, it looks like they are just red eyes.

I also use Pushback wiring on my builds as its what i use to wire guitars in the shop, and, i like it!!

I'm very happy with it!  like it better than the original RAT I had back in the 80's actually!!  (but.. my judgment might have been impaired back then!!)

I will say however, that next time, i will use the paper supplied with the transfers rather than a t-shirt when heat setting the graphic...   the T-shirt left a cloth like pattern on the graphic that took FOREVER to lacquer over!

Anyway, here it is!!

rullywowr

Looks great!  I like the use of the ol' cloth covered wire - nothin' wrong with a little extra "mojo"

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

H.E.L.Shane

Quote from: rullywowr on May 09, 2013, 03:28:43 PM
Looks great!  I like the use of the ol' cloth covered wire - nothin' wrong with a little extra "mojo"

I love the pushback wire myself..  no stripping.. looks cool.. right size for boards...

I also have a thing for Vintage Gibbys, therefore, its what i expect to see when i open up a guitar..  thus, i build my guitars with it...  thus, is handy in the shop for pedals too!

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

nzCdog

sonarchotic

lincolnic

Any pedal with LED eyes gets a thumbs up from me.

jimilee

Thats just awesome,and it beats looking down at just a regular old great box plus your band mates go,"hey,what's that?"
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

raulduke

Very cool build dude.

Creepy LED clipper eyes FTW!

Cortexturizer

https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

TNblueshawk

John

H.E.L.Shane

Thanks guys...   I tried to get a recording of it.. and i did.. but.. I noticed that at more than a crack of volume from my Mesa 20/20, my vertical 2x12 is making some kind of weird, plastiky buzzing fizzing sound...  somethings loose in there.. not the grille or emblem.. this requires surgery!!!   

It was really annoying with the clean sounds and still present with the pedal on, so i don;t want to put it on youtube and have anybody think its the pedal..

BUT.. with the 20/20 crankin pretty good letting the v-30's unload.... DAMN this pedal ROCKS!!!!