News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tone Bender

Started by pedalman, May 17, 2013, 01:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedalman

So out of all of you fuzz freaks and Benderheads whats the best bender pcb out there? Im looking for that growly farty Jimmy page sound with miles of sustain like the old MkII's
I built the Pasty Face but i did the Soul Bender build. Wondering if i should of gone Sola instead.
Any thoughts?
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

whitebread47

The only two I've done have been the Pastyface (also to Soul Bender specs) and GuitarPCB's Pump'd Up Tone Bender (stock Bender aside from the voltage inverter).

Both are great and very capable of that Page tone.  I liked the Pasty a little more due to the added tone knob, but the P.U.T.B. sounds classic (great for Ziggy era Mick Ronson riffs). 
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

Mike B.

I think transistor selection is probably a more important factor than the PCB. I've built Benders with most of the PCB's out there and a few on vero. I like the Pastyface mainly because of the board-mount pots. As for Soulbender vs. Sola specs, there's not a night/day difference in tone between the them - it's subtle. You might try socketing the trannies, resistors, etc. on your next build and see what you like the best.

raulduke

I remember BYOC's MKII PCB being a really nice PCB to work with.

It is laid out for 'mojo' components too if that is what you are after.