News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

quasar v3 transistors

Started by mandrewbot3k, February 04, 2011, 06:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandrewbot3k

So I started my builds and I etched the v3 quasar board. I ordered all my parts, including the 2n5088. I'm planning on making an RC boost so the new board didnt seem to be much of an improvement, except I noticed there was the 2sc1815 now. I have the transistors socketed, so its probably not a big deal. But really I was just wondering if they will make much of a difference?
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

jkokura

Probably not. I think I remember them being workalikes though. The original probably didn't use a 5088, but you could use them for essentially the same sound. Just a recollection, but that's what I think is happening. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

I don't think it will make a difference. A buffer is a buffer is a buffer....maybe there is some technical aspect that could apply in certain situations, but I don't know of any between choosing a 5088/89 over the 1815.

I did change that for ver.4 because it is more accurate to the stock units.

mandrewbot3k

alright thanks! i just wanted to make sure i didnt need to waste any more time or money to order something new. i gotta add the caps tonight if i have time then hopefully this weekend i'll get around to wiring the rest of them up.

just to clarify, the LED on board can be negated if I am using a 3pdt with offboard lighting correct? same with the sw spot on the boards? only concerened with gnd, in and out?
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

madbean