News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Secret Tools of the Trade

Started by GermanCdn, January 14, 2013, 06:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ch1naski

Just found a "helping hands" at Harbor Freight for about 5 bucks, has a magnifying glass on it about 3 inch diameter, and it's got led's in it. Plus a solder iron holder and small parts tray built into the cast iron stand.  Puts the standard helping hands to shame.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

culturejam

Three things have changed my life for the better in building pedals:

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jimilee

I have one of those too, it's way handy for holding pots and wires while you're soldering. I don't use the iron holder, my station has one already.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

RobA

Absolutely on that solder station. I love my Hakko. One of the best things about that one is the way the iron holder works. It really helps my workflow.

I have the same Panavise too -- a big help.

I hadn't seen that desolder gun before. It looks nice!
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

mjcyates

I just received that exact soldering station for my birthday. I love it! Finally get to retire my Rat Shack iron.

lincolnic

Yeah, everyone should have a Panavise.

culturejam

Quote from: RobA on January 29, 2013, 02:53:52 AM
I hadn't seen that desolder gun before. It looks nice!

It really is insanely awesome. Tonight I used it to remove 4 board-mount pots and 2 board-mount jacks from a plated through-hole PCB...took about 2 minutes from start to totally finished.

It ain't cheap, though. I got it as a Xmas gift.  ;)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

derevaun

+1 on the Tapered Reamer. I think it was suggested in Electronic Projects for Musicians so I grabbed one--it's the only surviving thing from those days.

I use a loupe quite a lot. And a chart that converts 334 to 330nF to .3uF to 330,000pF, because i've got better uses for my feeble brainpower than storing stuff like that.

timbo_93631

Quote from: ch1naski on January 15, 2013, 05:27:11 AM
Photo, please!

In the lower middle of the picture to the left of the small desk you can see it, and the workspace in general
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

alanp

I don't think I've seen it mentioned anywhere, but next time I see one of those little cordless electric-motorized screwdrivers at Mitre 10 Mega, I'm getting one.

I'm sick of doing up and undoing four blimmin' screws on the bottom of these enclosures.

Picked up a heat gun at the Ware-whare with some Xmas money :) no more using the soldering iron on heatshrink! (A Bic lighter doesn't work. The heatshrink just catches fire.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website