News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mudbunny Socketing

Started by Nairbton, May 02, 2013, 01:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nairbton

Long time lurker first time poster..

Going to put together the Mudbunny this weekend Mayo specs. Probably going to add a mid pot.

My question is there anything else besides the trannies and the diodes that I should or would be beneficial to socket?

Micpoc

If you haven't seen it already, you may wish to check out this page:

http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/Muffs.htm

It's a spreadsheet of the different values used in the multiple iterations of the BMP. You'll notice that many component values are VERY close, with little to no variance between different builds. You may wish to use that as a guide in determining which components to socket; specifically, which ones on the Mayo are further off the "beaten path".

whitebread47

Here's what I use to study the basic circuit itself.  Though the Mayo isn't on this page - only EHX versions - the info should be applicable nonetheless.  There's some nice schematic breakdowns that highlight areas of influence.

http://kitrae.net/music/big_muff_guts.html
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

Nairbton

I've seen Juans spread sheet. Some of the notes are kind of greek to me. But for the most part it makes sense. I may socket a whole mess of the parts and play around with it. I'm pretty green to this hobby just put together a couple BYOC kits.

I will check out Kit Rae site when I get home this evening. For some odd reason it's blocked here at work.

DutchMF

Quote from: Nairbton on May 02, 2013, 03:56:42 PM
I've seen Juans spread sheet. Some of the notes are kind of greek to me. But for the most part it makes sense. I may socket a whole mess of the parts and play around with it. I'm pretty green to this hobby just put together a couple BYOC kits.

I will check out Kit Rae site when I get home this evening. For some odd reason it's blocked here at work.

Socketing a boat load of parts can be a good idea, but it might also cloud your testing a bit... I have a Mudbunny board with everything socketed except for the stuff concerning the poiwer supply, thinking I might find that elusive Perfect Muff (pun intended), but I'm still looking.... Good fun though! Everything mentioned above is very good advice, I've only got one thing add: google the Seymour Duncan Tonestack Calculator and install it. It has a preset for the Big Muff tonestack, which gives you a visual representation of what changing certain components does. Enjoy!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Nairbton

I've read about the tone stack calculator never played with maybe that is something I will look at tonight before I embark on this journey.

I don't know if I have a perfect muff but my buddies hoof from earthquaker was way to muddy with my jet city. I even cranked the presence on my amp too. Nothing but sludge. So I'm trying to stay away from the sludgier muffs.

rodstewart

I found it to be extremely beneficial to visualize the tone change with the calculator and then actually hear the difference by switching out components.

Doing that really helped my understanding of what people mean when they say scooped midrange or mid-hump.

Quote from: Nairbton on May 03, 2013, 06:12:36 PM
I've read about the tone stack calculator never played with maybe that is something I will look at tonight before I embark on this journey.