News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pastyface question: Which version is the "Sola Sound Tonebender"?

Started by lincolnic, April 02, 2013, 09:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lincolnic

I'm looking at the Pastyface build doc, and one of the component sets is labelled "Sola Sound Tonebender". I know that Sola Sound produced a bunch of versions - which is the one in the Pastyface build doc? I'm guessing Mk I, I.V, or II, since there's a separate set of components listed for the Vox Mk III. Thanks!

T_MBaker

To my understanding, the Pastyface Sola Sound is the mk3. The mk1, mk1.5 and mk2 Tonebenders are each different circuits. From my basic knowledge, only the mk3 and mk4 Sola Sound Tonebenders have any direct similarities circuit wise. Additionally, the mk1, mk1.5 and mk2 Tonebenders are all 2 knob fuzzes.

As far as comparisons between Sola Sound and Vox Tonebenders, some Voxs are based on Sola Sound Tonebenders and others are based on Fuzz Faces (both germanium and Silicon), often with slight differences in componentry.

Hope this helps

lincolnic

That does help, thanks. I'm looking to build a Mk I or Mk II, I think, so I guess I'll be working on vero.

T_MBaker

You could use the Guitar PCB Pumped Up Tonebender PCB or use Grind Customs Bend Over Fuzz PCB as a basis and remove or jumper whichever components as necessary.
There's also a few older pcb artworks floating around if you're interested in etching your own.

Blues Healer

The Pasyface is a 3-knob tonebender, which is a clue. In addition, the madbean docs refer to fuzzcentral for the component values:
http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/3knob.php

the MKII Pro and the 3-knob versions are some of my favorite fuzzes, and very musical. The MkI, FYI, is reputed to be difficult to bias.
"music heals"

Matt

Matt

pryde

As said, can't really do a MkII with the pastyface. If you work with vero, see the attachment.

lincolnic

Thanks, you read my mind - I'd already decided to build one on vero, starting from one of IvIark's layouts.