News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Afterlife with a diy vactrol

Started by danwelsh, April 28, 2013, 12:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwelsh

Hi guys, I just finished this and love the way this compressor spruces things up.  I rolled my own vactrol for this circuit with a red led and photocell. Just deciding what to do for my graphic :)

jimilee

How does it sound? I've found vactrols to be very clean sounding so far,and I love compressors.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

danwelsh

Very very clean jimilee......i like it

gordo

I've built it as the stock AL and am finding that I use it for clean and gainier clean sounds.  The only time it's not on is when I want a real balls out drive sound.  It tends to make drive stuff a little thinner sounding (I know that doesn't make sense).  The thing I like about this compressor versus every other one is that it responds really well to volume changes on the guitar.  I can set it to boost the level a bit and make my little Vox go bonkers and then pull it back to sparkling clean with a slight drop of the guitar volume.  More noticeable on single coils.  It's also fairly quiet, even in front of a booster.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

nzCdog

Great job man, pedal looks good as is... no graphics required IMO  8)