News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Triangle 71 Muff trannies

Started by octa805, March 15, 2013, 04:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octa805

Howdy,

Getting ready to do pickroppers mini-muff and I'm hoping to do the 71 Triangle. From what I've read the super fancy trannies required for these builds seem to pretty unavailable.

So, if I were to build it up to the 71 triangle specs and use the same trannies with modern day readings would it sound similar? Or is it better to just go with a more standard triangle build?

Thanks!

juansolo

Go with the 71 triangle build and use different transistors. Any current 2n5133s are all going to be too low gain really. Use whatever was recommended for the other triangle build. I always recommend people socket the trannies in muff builds and see what you like. It's a top circuit to experiment with.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

DutchMF

Juan's got it covered! Socket those trannies, and some resistors and caps as well! Look at the Mudbunny docs or Juans value sheet to see which values change between the different versions. I have a Mudbunny board with nothing but sockets and still can't decide what I like best! I set out to find the best Muff ever, but am still searching.....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

octa805

Thanks guys. I'd prefer not to socket on the baby board is all

octa805

Quote from: juansolo on March 15, 2013, 11:11:51 PM
Go with the 71 triangle build and use different transistors. Any current 2n5133s are all going to be too low gain really. Use whatever was recommended for the other triangle build. I always recommend people socket the trannies in muff builds and see what you like. It's a top circuit to experiment with.

So I just looked and per the minimuff BOM the standard triangle uses the same 2n5133 trannies? In fact, looking at that doc it shows the majority of muff variants using those.

Great resource by the way, I'm just lost on that part. Thanks!

juansolo

FWIW, the two 71 Triangles I made had 2SC1327 in. We got some from a fella on ebay and they're top sounding things. Being Japanese they need a leg twist to work in the Mudbunny. Also meter them and use the highest gain ones you get.

garfo

What do you mean with twist, just turn them the other way arround???
Quote from: juansolo on March 16, 2013, 10:04:27 AM
FWIW, the two 71 Triangles I made had 2SC1327 in. We got some from a fella on ebay and they're top sounding things. Being Japanese they need a leg twist to work in the Mudbunny. Also meter them and use the highest gain ones you get.

juansolo

Actually I'm wrong, I used them in a ?lady build (no reason you can't use them though), it's got 2N5089's in our Triangle and they go in the normal orientation:

If you look at the datasheet it's laid out Collector Base Emitter.

Yep, I really had to take a photograph to see what they were... My memory is as shite as my eyesight.

The 2SC1327 is laid out Base Collector Emitter. So the base and collector would need crossing over to get you CBE. A lot of Japanese transistors are like this. This is a different board, but you get the idea:

Datasheets are your friend. Even better is a component tester (about £40) that will not only measure your transistors at the push of a button, but also tell you what pins are what. I can't believe we waited as long as we did to get one.

Cortexturizer

I would try bc192b as well,last night i put them in one of my Pharaoh builds that I considered worst,but these trannies made SO MUCH difference,and it is now easily the most transparent muff i have tried without sacrifcing gain.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

juansolo

Yep, always worth socketing these muff builds and experimenting.