News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question about Big Muff

Started by billstein, April 08, 2013, 02:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

I'm in the process of populating a Mudbunny board to Skreddy P19 specs. I'm using the spreadsheet at http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/Muffs.htm.

Got a quick question. What is the 9v Q4+ that is supposed to be a 100r. I can't figure out where that would go.

Also R24 on the mudbunny looks like it is left blank on the p19. Do I put a jumper there?

Thanks guys

selfdestroyer

I'll take a stab at this.

9v Q4+ as per the note[1] - Rx is inline with R6, line is pulled from between. For Mudbunny use 10k as R6 instead

So I would take it is the 100R would be inline with R6 which is 10K --(100R)--x--(10K)---

And omitted parts will need to be jumpered.

billstein

Thanks. I was looking at some vero layouts trying to figure this out. It looks to me like it is a 100r resistor that jumps the 100n cap (C13 on the Mudbunny to the Collector of Q4.
When you look at Quansolo's spreadsheet, Skreddy is the only one who does this. I wonder why?

pryde

Just use a 10k at R22 for the P19. On the actual p19 schematic there is another 100R that is in series with that 10k but I heard absolutely no difference when I breadboarded.

I have since built 3 p19s using just the 10k and they all sound fantastic. If you need to stay true to the schematic you could tee-pee at 10k and 100R resistor at R22 (in series) on the mudbunny board but I really wouldn't bother.

DutchMF

100R is only 1% of 10k, which is the tolerance of metal film resistors, so it's doubtful you'll hear any difference when you put them in series. Unless you can hear the difference between two different 10k resistors.....  ;)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

selfdestroyer

Quote from: DutchMF on April 11, 2013, 03:56:43 PM
100R is only 1% of 10k, which is the tolerance of metal film resistors, so it's doubtful you'll hear any difference when you put them in series. Unless you can hear the difference between two different 10k resistors.....  ;)

Paul

Good point.

billstein

Thanks guys for the help. I've never been a fan of the Big Muff but I built this on a whim, had some free time and some extra parts and must admit this is a great sounding pedal. Now I'm thinking of building another. Any suggestions on what version?

DutchMF

"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

pryde

THe Mayo or the Ultrastoner on JS's spreadsheet will give you something quite different then the P19. I have built those variants as well and they both sound great. Can't comment on any others.

Cortexturizer

Search for the Pharaoh fuzz in the build reports, I've posted mine not that long ago. Personally it's the only version I like.
A lot of people are telling me that the Earhbound Audio Supercollider version is the meanest of them all, but I haven't tried it, yet.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

juansolo

Quote from: pryde on April 12, 2013, 12:16:11 PM
THe Mayo or the Ultrastoner on JS's spreadsheet will give you something quite different then the P19. I have built those variants as well and they both sound great. Can't comment on any others.

Yep they're my favourite muffs. All very different flavoured. The P19 is a solo machine, the US is just the heaviest thickest thing out there and the Mayo is something close to how you imagine a muff should sound. It's worth trying out some clipping options on the Mayo also. It sounds really good on bass with some germs as the first stage clippers. I made them switchable on mine, I just could have done with doubling them up to negate the vol drop.

FWIW the '71 Triangle on the sheet is somewhere between the Mayo and the US. For those that want a heavy but still tight muff... Madam.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk