News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Thunderpuss and MOSFET's

Started by tuddy24, March 24, 2013, 09:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuddy24

Hi All,

I purchased a Boss Blues Driver and love it!  I like the range of clean boost to dirty grit it gives me.  My brother likes heavier music and loves his fuzz and distortion pedals.  He, surprisingly, loved the above Boss pedal when it was used as a clean boost into his Vox AC15; level cranked and gain at minimum.  I've built a few DIY pedals and ain't scared to put together a booster for him.  After looking through the projects I noticed the Thunderpuss.  It seems perfect; 35dB of clean boost and 3dB boost when at minimum.  But after looking around I've noticed a lot of people hating on MOSFET boosters due to claims of static sensitivity and un-even gain across different batches of the same type MOSFET transistor.  Any thoughts on this?  We'd like to keep this circuit simple with a focus on clarity and quality, please advise!

Thanks,
-Pete

hammerheadmusicman

The thunderpuss is a great booster, and that's what it does, boosts 'makes you louder', my personal favourite is the fatpants (especially the v2), makes a strat sound killer!!

I built a thunderpuss with 2n7000, and had no problems with it at all, sounded great!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

DutchMF

The Thunderpuss is great! I personally love how it kicks my Marshall in the n$#s, or gives my OD's some extra grind. Also a great way to lift your clean tone a little (or a lot!) above the rest of the band.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jolly1423

Love my thunderpuss too. Pushes my Blackheart really nicely. Put it in front of a drive and it adds all kinds of saturation and grit.

Stomptown

I agree with everyone above! The T-Puss is a great boost. I've actually build two of them. One of the two pops when the effect is engaged but the other does not for some reason. In the forum here I have come across other threads that mention the popping noise so it's a possibility yours will too. There may be solutions to get rid of it. I wasn't able to but it doesn't bother me too much. If your brother can live with that I say go for it. It's a super cheap build!!! I have heard great things about them fat pants though...  ;D