News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Recommend me a 1590A sized project - the whackier the sound, the better

Started by Cortexturizer, March 24, 2013, 06:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortexturizer

:)

I have a vacant spot on my pedalboard 2, which consist of only modulation effects. It goes like this

Ibanez HD1000 harmonizer => Lel EQ [old Russian made parametric EQ] => VACANT SPOT => Milin Kamak Phaser [communist era Bulgarian phaser that I resurrected, it's a 8-stage phaser] => EHX Pulsar with momentary switch as well as a bypass switch => Cave Dweller delay.

So I need another crazy sounding pedal, and I have this enclosure

I used to have an MXR Phase 45 clone in there but I was never really satisfied by my rendition of it, other guys have done it much better. My had a weak phase no matter what I did with the internal multi-turn trimpot, and...I just like this Bulgarian thing much better.
These low profile jacks are from a broken Digitech pedal, they are great for fitting stuff in a 1590A.

SO, no overdrives, no distortions, no fuzzes, I mainly go to the pedalboard 2 sound when I play chordal stuff so I need some sort of effect that works great with chords. This is an imperative.
As you can see, if I don't resort to 9mm pots, there is only space for one pot, but I am no stranger to shrinking pedals to one or two pots and just leave the others inside as trimpots. Still I think I can have one more 16mm pot in there but it would be a squeeze. Not that I haven't done even that before... [I had a thing for the 1590a sized stuff a year ago, maybe even earlier but I stopped hehe]

I am crazy about anything that has a giant sweep, I love envelope filters. Maybe some sort of a very agressive envelope filter? I dunno...
It would be nice if it could be some sort of a modulation effect, but I am thinking about some sort of feedback loop as well, those are great, so much fun to be had....
So anything that would create havoc, crazy sweeps, giant filtering, I dunno.
Maybe Crying Time by midwayfair, that one I like a lot.
I even thought of shrinking down the Clarinot somehow.

Just wanted to seek another opinion on this, and suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks guys!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

pedalman

I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

midwayfair

A one-knob Nurse Quacky envelope filter?

Or, search the member projects for a thing called "Crying Time" -- it's half of Robert Henry's Light Wah, for just the LFO part. Hardwire it to max depth and make the pot just the speed. An LFO wah is pretty wacky, right?

hammerheadmusicman

I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

Cortexturizer

Quote from: midwayfair on March 24, 2013, 09:53:08 PM
A one-knob Nurse Quacky envelope filter?

Or, search the member projects for a thing called "Crying Time" -- it's half of Robert Henry's Light Wah, for just the LFO part. Hardwire it to max depth and make the pot just the speed. An LFO wah is pretty wacky, right?

Hehe mr. Midwayfair if you read my first post once again you'll notice that I mentioned Crying Time already :) I love that little circuit, and hardwiring the depth pot to max, and just having the speed as an out pot was just what I wanted to do. But I wanted other suggestions as well heh.

Hm, would the Quaky have a really long synth-like sweep? I have a VOX 1904 Wah, which is a classic envelope filter that I love, I adore that pedal, but it is not very versatile, still the sound I get from it is ideal for some things. What I would benefit from is a filter that would have a giant sweep but not get almost inaudible once you hit the strings [this happens with the VOX at maximum settings where the sweep is the longest]. I mean, it goes from the trebliest inaudible sound almost and then it goes gradually up from there and gets to have more and more bass and it just kinda "arrives". I think you get what I'm reffering to...
I would like a filter that would not have that kind of behaviour [the extreme loss of volume thing] but stay loud volume-wise and still be a crazy envelope filter.
Oh brother. I hope I explained anything in there...  :o

Any other suggestions for some other modulation effects that can be doable in a 1590A?

Thank you guys.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams