News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag Build

Started by pickdropper, May 13, 2012, 05:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fish22

Dave I've been waiting for you to do one where you remove a lot of powder coat!
I think it looks fantastic. I want that! ;D
I'd love to see one in black.
Hi, my name is Wyatt.

pickdropper

Quote from: fish22 on March 13, 2013, 04:55:01 PM
Dave I've been waiting for you to do one where you remove a lot of powder coat!
I think it looks fantastic. I want that! ;D
I'd love to see one in black.

Thanks Fish.

I think I have photos of the black one around here somewhere.  Otherwise, I can another snapshot.

I do have to give credit to the anonymous person who did the artwork layout for this one.  I believe this is the only time I've used somebody else's artwork, but I honestly don't think I can I
Can improve on this.  Kudos to the person who did it.  Lacesensor, perhaps?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

LaceSensor

wasnt me alas but it looks amazing.

pickdropper

Here is a pic of the black one.

Function f(x)

Scruffie

Make me a case like that... looks great!
Works at Lectric-FX

fish22

I want that one too.
Hi, my name is Wyatt.

neiloler

Those are beautiful builds! Do you make the etch mask, then spray paint, then remove the mask?
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

pickdropper

Quote from: neiloler on March 14, 2013, 02:41:18 PM
Those are beautiful builds! Do you make the etch mask, then spray paint, then remove the mask?

No, I used a vector graphic and burned off the powder coat with a laser engraver.

It's a bit of a wild card when you remove this much material as the enclosure is often not pretty underneath.  For these two builds, I ended up having to use polishing compound on the raw metal after etching.
Function f(x)

fish22

Any job openings at your work?
I hear they have good benefits. Like laser engravers....  :D
Hi, my name is Wyatt.

Stomptown

Quote from: pickdropper on May 13, 2012, 03:14:23 PM

This enclosure is the only one that I've removed this much powder coat from.  I like the fact that it etches really clean lines and that I don't have to mess with labels.  The downside to removing as much of the powder coat as I did is that you really don't know what the metal is going to look like underneath (you can see random scratches in this one).  This makes sense as it is probably assumed that the end user is going to leave the powder coat on, so it doesn't matter what it underneath as long as the powder coat adheres.

Do you know if it is possible to use liquid tin on the surface after you etch the paint off to cover up the scratches and imperfections? I've never used the stuff so I don't know what it would do to the powdercoat but it would look pretty cool if it is possible...

pickdropper

Quote from: Stomptown on March 14, 2013, 10:07:11 PM

This enclosure is the only one that I've removed this much powder coat from.  I like the fact that it etches really clean lines and that I don't have to mess with labels.  The downside to removing as much of the powder coat as I did is that you really don't know what the metal is going to look like underneath (you can see random scratches in this one).  This makes sense as it is probably assumed that the end user is going to leave the powder coat on, so it doesn't matter what it underneath as long as the powder coat adheres.

Do you know if it is possible to use liquid tin on the surface after you etch the paint off to cover up the scratches and imperfections? I've never used the stuff so I don't know what it would do to the powdercoat but it would look pretty cool if it is possible...

I've used liquid tin on etched boards and it doesn't clean up scratches.  It is just used to tin raw copper.

If I was into powder coating, I'd be curious to see the results of polishing a box before powder coating and then etching after powder coating.  I expect that it would look good, but not be very durable as there wouldn't be a mechanical bond for the powder to hang onto like that there is with a rougher finished enclosure.
Function f(x)

Stomptown

Quote from: pickdropper on March 15, 2013, 03:33:29 AM
Quote from: Stomptown on March 14, 2013, 10:07:11 PM

I've used liquid tin on etched boards and it doesn't clean up scratches.  It is just used to tin raw copper.

If I was into powder coating, I'd be curious to see the results of polishing a box before powder coating and then etching after powder coating.  I expect that it would look good, but not be very durable as there wouldn't be a mechanical bond for the powder to hang onto like that there is with a rougher finished enclosure.

I thought that might be the case. I do know that Mammoth will hand sand enclosures (if you pay extra) for the translucent colors so that may be an option as well. It won't be polished but at least the blemishes should be eliminated...