News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

sunking: Gain mod ?

Started by Ang3lus, January 30, 2011, 07:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ang3lus

subbing the dual gain pot for a 250k will yield higher gain right ?

can i just add 100k or 150k resistors to the pot that's inside the enclosure now ?

do i add them to both levels of the pots and to which legs ? 1 and 3 ?

stecykmi

The sunking uses an unusual topology that I don't quite understand, particularly the GAIN2 (in reference to MB's schem).

GAIN1 seems to control a biasing circuit rather than a feedback circuit. If you increased R9, it should increase the gain since it will decrease the feedback. Using a larger pot will also work.

As for GAIN2, I think the control balances feedback from the R16/R17/R18. The feedback is divided between the IC1A/filter network and VB(which acts as an AC ground). A larger value for the pot may not necessarily increase the gain here... I think a resistor connected to lug 1 or 2 of the pot will increase gain since that limits feedback. I think lug 2 might be better since it would interfere less with the filter network.

That's my brief analysis and I may no claims of correctness. Your best bet is to experiment.

stecykmi

Actually, on second thought, a larger pot value for GAIN2 would increase the gain, but so would a resistor at lug 1 or 2.

madbean

You can increase R11 to 680k or 1M.
Or, you could lower R10 to 6k8. If you do that, increase C7 to 150n to keep approximately the same frequency response.