News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Can you use tantalums instead of mlcc?

Started by danwelsh, March 07, 2013, 06:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwelsh

Hi guys, I have a question regarding ceramic caps, i'm building the zero point micro and I ordered tantalum 1uf caps instead of the mlcc's the build asks for(c3,15,and 19).....they are the correct value, but these are polarized so i'm not sure if I can use them?  I read somewhere that as long as you have the orientation correct with the way the circuit goes that they will work...can someone help me on this one?

midwayfair

You have to determine which side of the cap sees a higher voltage and put the + side facing that way.

However, you won't fine a 2.2nF cap in tantalum, so you have to order some MLCCs anyway. Might as well get the rest of them. They're useful for other circuits, too.

danwelsh

Quote from: midwayfair on March 07, 2013, 07:37:28 PM
You have to determine which side of the cap sees a higher voltage and put the + side facing that way.

However, you won't fine a 2.2nF cap in tantalum, so you have to order some MLCCs anyway. Might as well get the rest of them. They're useful for other circuits, too.

That's the thing....i have all other components for the build other than those 3 mlcc's, how do you determine which side is seeing the higher voltage?

midwayfair

Quote from: danwelsh on March 07, 2013, 07:48:21 PMhow do you determine which side is seeing the higher voltage?

A good guess, or lots of math, or measuring if the rest of the pedal is complete.

danwelsh

Quote from: midwayfair on March 07, 2013, 07:54:10 PM
Quote from: danwelsh on March 07, 2013, 07:48:21 PMhow do you determine which side is seeing the higher voltage?

A good guess, or lots of math, or measuring if the rest of the pedal is complete.

where would I probe? the rest of the pedal is complete.....would i stick them in the respective holes and test the voltage on the legs? or leave em out of the holes and do one at a time?

midwayfair

danwelsh

garfo

a good way to know how to connect your polarized cap,try to identify where the negative(ground) side is.just identify on the circuit how and where the ground flows.that way you'll find out how to connect it.normally the ground is located o
n the outside(surroundings) of the board.
good luck for your builds
Quote from: danwelsh on March 07, 2013, 07:48:21 PM
s
Quote from: midwayfair on March 07, 2013, 07:37:28 PM

That's the thing....i have all other components for the build other than those 3 mlcc's, how do you determine which side is seeing the higher voltage?