News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nautilus demo

Started by midwayfair, November 25, 2012, 05:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Enjoy! I demoed as many of the easiest sounds to access as possible, though there are some really bizarre noises you can get out of this with different setups.

Doing this demo made me realize that the gain pot really needed to be changed. Nothing below 11:00 is usable for anything I can think of. Then I realized it's because it's an audio taper, bunching about 800K into the second half of the sweep. The lowest usable resistance in most settings was ~700K. A linear would be better; a reverse audio is ideal. I decided to simply reverse the pot's action since I didn't have a 1MC lying around. Now about 2/3 of the pot's travel is useful. I think even better would be to use a RA taper and a 4.7M across it. This would make it an 825K pot with about 90% of the sweep being in the usable range.

raulduke

Cool demo dude!

Nice of you to take the time to go over the whole pedal in detail for everyone as well.

It is indeed a versatile box of tricks.

Interesting notes about the gain pot mods as well.

Top Notch(filter)  ;D!

Hangingmonkey

Thanks for the pot suggestions, ill give it a try

LaceSensor

Sounds good, sounds pretty much exactly like an EH Qtron, which is exactly what one would expect.

jkokura

I can't wait to try mine with my bass after I build it. Thanks Jon.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

John - That's a good point about the Gain pot. I may just go ahead and mention subbing a 1MC in the build doc.

v00d00blues79

Good to hear about the pot working better as a RA.  That's all I had laying around and was wondering how that'd work out.

garfo

hello.im following your suggestion on the gain pot.i have a 1mC pot and i want to put a resistor in parallel.how do i wire it, from lu€ 1 to 3?and if i do so,wont i loose the log tapper?thanks man
Quote from: midwayfair on November 25, 2012, 05:58:41 PM
Enjoy! I demoed as many of the easiest sounds to access as possible, though there are some really bizarre noises you can get out of this with different setups.

Doing this demo made me realize that the gain pot really needed to be changed. Nothing below 11:00 is usable for anything I can think of. Then I realized it's because it's an audio taper, bunching about 800K into the second half of the sweep. The lowest usable resistance in most settings was ~700K. A linear would be better; a reverse audio is ideal. I decided to simply reverse the pot's action since I didn't have a 1MC lying around. Now about 2/3 of the pot's travel is useful. I think even better would be to use a RA taper and a 4.7M across it. This would make it an 825K pot with about 90% of the sweep being in the usable range.

midwayfair

Quote from: garfo on February 02, 2013, 09:46:38 PM
hello.im following your suggestion on the gain pot.i have a 1mC pot and i want to put a resistor in parallel.how do i wire it, from lu€ 1 to 3?and if i do so,wont i loose the log tapper?thanks man

It will not completely reverse the log taper. I still got more usable sweep after the parallel resistor.

Yes, it goes across lugs 1 and 3.

garfo

Nice one.Thanks, I will definetly pay more attention to your posts.I hope this way Peak and Sweep won't get so much into oscillation at certain settings.
Quote from: midwayfair on February 02, 2013, 10:56:56 PM
Quote from: garfo on February 02, 2013, 09:46:38 PM

It will not completely reverse the log taper. I still got more usable sweep after the parallel resistor.

Yes, it goes across lugs 1 and 3.

JohnL

A linear would be better; a reverse audio is ideal. I decided to simply reverse the pot's action since I didn't have a 1MC lying around. Now about 2/3 of the pot's travel is useful. I think even better would be to use a RA taper and a 4.7M across it. This would make it an 825K pot with about 90% of the sweep being in the usable range.

So if I have a linear taper pot and put a 4.7M across the legs will I get close to a usable gain?

midwayfair

Quote from: JohnL on February 28, 2013, 06:31:13 PM
A linear would be better; a reverse audio is ideal. I decided to simply reverse the pot's action since I didn't have a 1MC lying around. Now about 2/3 of the pot's travel is useful. I think even better would be to use a RA taper and a 4.7M across it. This would make it an 825K pot with about 90% of the sweep being in the usable range.

So if I have a linear taper pot and put a 4.7M across the legs will I get close to a usable gain?

What do you consider "unsuable" gain? It will not be the same as using a log taper, it will just make the total pot value smaller.

JohnL

Quote from: midwayfair on February 28, 2013, 06:33:10 PM
What do you consider "unsuable" gain? It will not be the same as using a log taper, it will just make the total pot value smaller.

Early you said that a linear would be better. I have a linear and before I solder it in I am trying to figure out if I should add the resistor. I have not done this yet and my track record for desoldering in not exactly great :(.

midwayfair

Quote from: JohnL on March 01, 2013, 12:12:11 AM
Quote from: midwayfair on February 28, 2013, 06:33:10 PM

Early you said that a linear would be better. I have a linear and before I solder it in I am trying to figure out if I should add the resistor. I have not done this yet and my track record for desoldering in not exactly great :(.

Linear is better than an audio taper as originally wired in the pedal. An audio pot wired backwards works the same as a reverse audio.