News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedal passes signal, but with no effect?????

Started by tascam, December 28, 2012, 09:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tascam

Hello! I am a beginner, obviously, and am having a dilemma that despite all my internet research (hours of looking up specifics on pots, caps, resistors, all the parts needed for my pedal) I am unable to solve.

My Problem:
This is my first pedal build, and I started off with the MANGLER. I've spent a lot of time learning how to read schematics, and about the parts, and i am fairly certain I have it hooked up properly on my breadboard. HOWEVER, It passes signal unaffected...  I have rebuilt it multiple times, all to no avail.

The only change modification from the schematic I have made is to get a 1kC pot as opposed to a 1kB pot (i read that the reverse taper on the 1kC works better).... Is this where I have made my mistake?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am not even sure what to look for or ask in trying to solve this issue.

Thank you in advance!

hammerheadmusicman

I think this should be in the 'tech help' section, but anyways..

1) check your pinouts for your transistors, and make sure they are correctly orientated. I had a mudbunny which was passing almost clean signal.. All transistors were in backwards, as the pinout was backwards, swapped them, problem solved! That'll teach me to do this stuff late at night!!

2) check your orientation of your other components, diodes and electrolytics, and anything else polarised.

3) check your component values are correct

4)check for any solder bridges..

5) take some voltages readings, the 9v pad on the board ( checks the correct voltage is going into the circuit) and the legs of the transistors..

I'm sure it's something small..

Good luck!

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

tascam

Thanks, I'll give all your suggestions a try asap!

And I wasn't sure if this question was to "noob" or not to go in another forum section, but you're probably right that I posted it in the wrong place   :-\

nzCdog

tascam

Will take/ post a photo as soon as I get home.

tascam

Here is a photo of my build in its current state. I also attached the schematic for ease. I played around a little more with it, and it is now doing SOMETHING... However,

The 1kC pot appears to be doing be doing nothing. I have volume control with the 1kA, but I can pull out C2 (22uf) and absolutely nothing changes. With that being said, when I completely remove the 1kC pot, signal fails to pass.

I am completely stumped. Any help, or advice, would be great! Thanks in advance.

another note: I used blue wire for positive jumpers, and the blue isn't really showing up well in the photo :/

jeffaroo

check your pin-out
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Transistor-Pinouts/index.htm
print this bad-boy and wallpaper it to the wall in front of the ol workbench
welcome to the club !   ;D

P.S. if your mom gives you any crap about the wallpaper job tell her the first option
was to staple it to the dog, but she ran away !
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

hammerheadmusicman

^ that thing is awesome! It's probably my top google search!

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

danwelsh

Quote from: jeffaroo on December 30, 2012, 11:57:05 PM
check your pin-out
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Transistor-Pinouts/index.htm
print this bad-boy and wallpaper it to the wall in front of the ol workbench
welcome to the club !   ;D
bookmarked.....thank you

P.S. if your mom gives you any crap about the wallpaper job tell her the first option
was to staple it to the dog, but she ran away !

tascam

Just thought I'd let every one know, it turns out my issue was indeed with the transistors, but in this case, I had the wrong type! Woe is me that I don't read the directions thoroughly lol... this being a positive ground effect, I needed PNP transistors, where as I ordered NPN transisters. flipped the diode and all the caps around and BAM! works like a charm...

Thanks to everyone for your help!