News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bear Hug Compressor... nothing. No dry or wet signal.

Started by koky, February 12, 2013, 06:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Q1 is the MOSFET, the BS170. I just want to make sure you've probed the right part. 0v there means your voltage isn't making it to the MOSFET.

The only component connected to the drain of Q1 is R4. Measure on both sides of that, and check your soldering and continuity to make sure that the 2.2K resistor is connected to the drain. Make sure the other side is connected to the cathode of the polarity protection diode (D1). Then make sure it's not connected to anything else - like ground.

Since you ALSO aren't getting any voltage at the gate of Q1, that most likely means R5 also isn't connected properly to the 9v. Since both of these parts are very close to the ground connection, I suspect that there's a bridge to ground there.

Q2 wouldn't have caused you to get no sound. I just wanted to make sure it was facing the right way for when we get sound. :)

koky

So SO SO sorry for my stupidity. Rookie mistake.
Q1 8.63  0.01  0.01
"When you want something in life, you just gotta reach out and grab it." - Christopher McCandless

midwayfair

Quote from: koky on February 15, 2013, 05:48:35 PM
So SO SO sorry for my stupidity. Rookie mistake.
Q1 8.63  0.01  0.01

Source and gate voltages are both too low ... they should be fairly low, but the gate is still connected to a bias voltage and you're reading essentially 0 volts. Still sounds like it might be a ground issue somewhere, especially because you're getting hum and not "silence." Again, check continuity against the schematic, measure components if you have to. The dry path is very, very few parts, and if something is wrong, you should be able to find it.

Try replacing the MOSFET with a silicon transistor for a moment. I want to make sure it's not a blown MOSFET. Also, double check the pinout against the datasheet and make sure it's in the circuit correctly, although putting it in backward should give you silence and not hum.

koky

I have followed all paths and I found that the trace between middle leg of Q1 and C2 is MISSING.  :-X
Repaired !!! Meanwhile volume pot lugs has broke.   :-X  Repaired that too!!!
Plugged  the effect and ... VOILA  here comes the lovely sound ;D
And when it is NOT MEANT TO BE ... 9V wire just broke  :-[ Repaired that!!!
Plugged again ... HUM, Motorboat, HISSS !!!
SO FINAL VERDICT - I will re-flow all pads and hopefully I will have compressor at the end of this week!

Thank you for your time midwayfair or I can call you Jon.
Here I have found great community and great people that are ready to spend time and knowledge just to make this world a better place to live.

Thank you all DIY`ers.

Kostadin
"When you want something in life, you just gotta reach out and grab it." - Christopher McCandless

midwayfair

Quote from: koky on February 15, 2013, 07:52:23 PM
I have followed all paths and I found that the trace between middle leg of Q1 and C2 is MISSING.  :-X
Repaired !!! Meanwhile volume pot lugs has broke.   :-X  Repaired that too!!!
Plugged  the effect and ... VOILA  here comes the lovely sound ;D
And when it is NOT MEANT TO BE ... 9V wire just broke  :-[ Repaired that!!!
Plugged again ... HUM, Motorboat, HISSS !!!
SO FINAL VERDICT - I will re-flow all pads and hopefully I will have compressor at the end of this week!

Otlichna! (You're from Russia, right?) So glad to know it's on its way to being working. :) Hopefully after a reflow it'll fire up and you can get your squish on.  :)

>or I can call you Jon.
Of course!

koky

midwayfair

Quote from: koky on February 15, 2013, 08:01:49 PM
No I am NOT from Russia. I am from Bulgaria.

EEK! Sorry. No offense meant, I just recognized the name as eastern European. :)

koky

No I`m not offended.

koky

Still nothing. I did what i said before. I`ll try to build it on prefab board instead of etched. Can I use this https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9878279/Jon%20Patton%27s%20layouts/Bearhug%20layout.pdf as guide to do so?

Kostadin

midwayfair

Quote from: koky on February 17, 2013, 12:50:20 PM
Still nothing. I did what i said before. I`ll try to build it on prefab board instead of etched. Can I use this https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9878279/Jon%20Patton%27s%20layouts/Bearhug%20layout.pdf as guide to do so?

Kostadin

I wouldn't give up on that etch yet. You got sound once, that means it's working. You just need to find a bad trace or solder joint -- go through with your multimeter against the schematic. It'll be a lot faster fixing this one than soldering up a new on on perfboard.

In any case, yes, that's my perf layout and it's verified a couple times over.