News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zero Point Micro - Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick...

Started by kinski, February 11, 2013, 08:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinski

So I slapped this guy together and its sounds really nice. However, I am getting a ticking sound that is in tempo with the modulation rate pot. Any ideas on how to fix this?

stecykmi

does it still tick with the modulation switched off or turned very low?

if it does, i would assume a problem with the power supply. make sure you use a high-quality power supply or rig up a 9v battery for testing. if it's still ticking, check the power section (R25, R26, C22, R21, R22).

kinski

Only way I found I could get rid of the ticking was to get rid of the pot. So I just ended up socketing r18 to the value I liked and getting rid of the pot. I had the speed pot on an internal trimpot, so it was not something I was going to adjust all the time anyway. But I did like the ease of adjustment. But no biggie. This thing sounds really great btw.

madbean

Ticking could be caused by a few things. Power supply as stecykmi  mentioned, lead dress (IOW move input/output/pot wires AWAY from the modulation IC on the PCB) or the actual IC itself.

The Micro definitely does not tick under normal operation (at least none that I've found in my own builds so far). The demo I did was with a One Spot.

kinski

Yeah, I'm sure it was the lead dress. The only place I could cram the mod speed was with a trimpot on vero, and squeezed right next to the ic and input output wires.

External pots are mix, feedback, time, mod depth.

The fixed resistor works beautifully though. No ticking anymore. Love this delay! Thanks MB!