News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best way(s) to insulate pcb

Started by guile, February 03, 2013, 12:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guile

Guys, I could use some tips on how to insulate the pcb after it has been installed.

Thanks.

G♫S

jimilee

I use hot glue on the back of the PCB,it works quite well. Grab your mom's/wife's and or girlfriends and you're good to go.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

lincolnic

If you think you might need to get at the components again at some point in the future, I recommend electrical tape.

guile

Quote from: lincolnic on February 03, 2013, 04:56:53 PM
If you think you might need to get at the components again at some point in the future, I recommend electrical tape.

That makes sense. Could you send an url of an example?

whitebread47

Depending on the internal layout/fitting, I'll sometimes cut some double-sided 3M tape the size of the PCB and use it to prevent shorts and help keep the board in place. 
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

midwayfair

3M tape works very well, and it holds the board in place (most of the time).

guile

Quote from: midwayfair on February 03, 2013, 05:40:50 PM

What kind of 3M tape do you mean excatly?

whitebread47

Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

guile

whitebread47

Quote from: midwayfair on February 03, 2013, 05:40:50 PM

Yeah, I think it works better for insulation and light duty holding.  I find it works best of the board is taped to a flat surface like the inside of the enclosure; on pots, not so much.

Quote from: guile on February 03, 2013, 06:11:59 PM
Of course, got it. Thanks!

No problem!
Blake

pickdropper

Another vote for 3M VHB tape here.  I FAR prefer it to electrical tape because it holds the board in place and sharp bits cannot poke through it easily.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

I wound up wrapping my Dub Ed. Cavedweller board entirely in electrical tape -- standup resistors shorting on one side, traces on the other... so now it's a lump of stuff wrapped in tape with wires coming out.

The first half-dozen pedals I made, I used ice-cream container lids as insulating material. Easily cuttable to any shape you want, semi-rigid, cheap, and getting it involves eating icecream!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lincolnic

Quote from: guile on February 03, 2013, 05:37:17 PM

I meant to just stick some electrical tape on the back of your PCB when you're done. That's what I do if I'm worried about something shorting out in the enclosure.

jimilee

Quote from: lincolnic on February 04, 2013, 04:30:49 AM
Quote from: guile on February 03, 2013, 05:37:17 PM

I meant to just stick some electrical tape on the back of your PCB when you're done. That's what I do if I'm worried about something shorting out in the enclosure.
Here's the smoothie I built and covered in electrical tape
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=7662.0
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.