News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mammoth Wire

Started by claytushaywood, January 28, 2013, 09:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I bought some of their precut wire for pedal building and it is absolutely the worst quality wire I have ever used- bar none!  just an fyi! 

Geosh

I wonder if they chaged. I had bought some a while back and had no problems with it. What is so bad with the stuff you got?

jimilee

Same experience here, it's pretty brittle. I like barrys hookup wire from gpcb
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mjcyates

Same experience here. Barry's wire is way better.

murdog47

I've been using Mammoth wire for a long time, never had a problem.

neiloler

What makes it so bad for you? I bought some of the precut stuff a few months back (like 6 colors) and I've used it all with pretty average success (nothing amazing about it, but it works just as I need it to, so I'm happy with it).

The best wire I've used is Ted Weber's teflon solid core wire. LOVE that stuff, and at $0.30 a foot, it's cheaper than just about any other teflon-coated wire I've come across (though to be fair I've not made it my life's goal to scour the world for)...
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

whitebread47

I used Mammoth's pre-cut wire bundle a good bit for a few months when I got into this hobby.  It's usable, but not the easiest to work with.

For starters, the jacket (or whatever it's called) has a low melting point; that is, the colored part melts sometimes even when not in direct contact with the iron tip.  Second, I personally like pre-tinned or solid core wire.  This stuff can be a pain sometimes since the strands are rather loose.  It doesn't hold shape as well others.  Lastly, and most importantly, the wire/strands are weak.  I've broken

Don't get me wrong, I love Mammoth, but their wire is something I no longer use.  Heck, I still have like 6 bundles of the pre-cut stuff.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

nzCdog

I bought a roll of their chandler 24awg and its friggin awesome... totally recommened that stuff, never tried the precut