Started by Jyka, April 29, 2013, 08:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jyka

Hi,

What is the best AOP for TS sound ?

Is the  Burr Brown 2604 good ?

Thx :)

Haberdasher

Yes, the OPA 2604 is a nice chip, but lots of people prefer the original jrc4558 in a ts
Use a socket and experiment
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Jyka

Cool nice man i gonna a try that =)

And for the resistor, i can use audio resistor or it's change anything on my sound ?

Thc

RobA

I personally don't like any FET input op amp in this circuit. I can't see much reason to use a 2604 even if you did want to go that route. I can't hear much difference between a TL072, JRC2082,  TLC272, or OPA2134 for the Tube Screamer. I really like the OPA2134 and OPA2604 in clean circuits are for tone control sections in overdrives, but I don't think they sound good when they are forced to clip themselves.

I do like the JRC4558 and LM833N. They both overdrive nicely with the LM833N sounding a bit more aggressive to me.

I agree that you should socket the op amp and try out whatever you can get your hands on in this circuit. I found it to be a great learning experience.

Edit: I've never been able to hear any difference between resistors.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Haberdasher

I'm not sure what you are asking, but I will tell you this.  Use 1/4W resistors, because anything larger than that will probably not fit.

You can use carbon film or metal film.  I usually try to use metal film for high values 100K or above but smaller than that doesn't really matter in my opinion.  You probably won't notice much difference in an overdrive anyway.  It is up to you.

I agree the LM833N sounds good, I use one in my ocd.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

BraindeadAudio

opa2134 with some fine tuning to the circuit is amazing. JRC chip is great for vintage vibe, but you are making your own pedal, why not grab a bunch of different ones and experiment?

Tone is in the ear of the beholder.

ch1naski

Quote from: Jyka on May 01, 2013, 02:55:43 PM
Thx for you fast answer :)

But for exemple, waht is the difference between

http://www.banzaimusic.com/2-2k-CC-0-5W.html

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Huntington-MRA12-2-0-Ohm-12W.html
and this http://www.banzaimusic.com/Beyschlag-MBB-PREC-2-2k.html

for fuzz
Carbon Composition resistors have a wide tolerance range, and are somewhat more prone to be noisy in some circuits.

metal film resistors have a low tolerance ( usually 1-2%) and are quieter in general.

Still, a lot of people use carbon comp resistors to retain a "vintage" vibe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

Jyka

Yes but i don't want especialy vintage tone, just good tone :)

And for the audio resistor, can be good ?

RobA

Those wire wound "audio" resistors are for special purposes where they have to handle a lot of power dissipation. You would almost never need one of those in an effect. Also, they have downsides, tradeoffs, that you don't need to make in effects circuits (inductance being an important one).

The last one you linked to is the general type you would normally use, metal film, except that it is a high precision, 0.1%, type. You almost never need this level of accuracy. The 1% metal film type is almost always what you need. 1/4 Watt or 250mW is the usual power rating you need. Sometimes you'll see a circuit call for 1/8W, but this will be because of the smaller physical size allowing them to fit in tighter places. The higher current/power resistors are mostly used in things like amplifiers and power soaks.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).