News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Awesome, Cave dweller is awesome

Started by jimilee, January 09, 2013, 04:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Lemme just say that the cave dweller I built is awesome, and not a rehearsal goes by that I don't use it. I was thinking of building a second one its so killer. I have the parts I just need the pcb and some knobs!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GermanCdn

If you're going to build a second one, put two separate time pots on a 3pdt or 4pdt, set one for short and one for long and you'll have fun for days.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jimilee

Quote from: GermanCdn on January 09, 2013, 05:01:39 AM
If you're going to build a second one, put two separate time pots on a 3pdt or 4pdt, set one for short and one for long and you'll have fun for days.
That's exactly what I need to do,I was thinking about how to make that happen.the Long delays are so cool,but not practical for too many songs. And the short is more useful. I would love to make that mod happen.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GermanCdn

It's simple, run your three leads that would go to your time pot to the center row of the switch, and then run the outside lugs to the corresponding lugs on the two new pots.  If you're running a 4pdt, run the ground off the fourth center lug and put your LEDs to the outside lugs.

I've built one exactly like this, I'll post a build report once I get back home, currently hanging out in Jacobs neck of the woods, though in hindsight next time I won't do it in the dead of winter.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jimilee

Cool,I'll lok forward to the build report,and stay warm,I hear it gets pretty cold there for sure! Totally stoked about this mod.

Stomptown

Quote from: jimilee on January 09, 2013, 05:05:48 AM
Quote from: GermanCdn on January 09, 2013, 05:01:39 AM
That's exactly what I need to do,I was thinking about how to make that happen.the Long delays are so cool,but not practical for too many songs. And the short is more useful. I would love to make that mod happen.

If you do build another I would seriously consider Jon P's Dwell Pot range adjustment mod. The mod basically gives you more playable range before infinite repeats (oscillation). It makes the dweel pot much more useable. Here is his suggestion and the first paragraph pretty much sums it up:

"After some breadboarding, I found that just putting a 10K across lugs 1 and 2 of the Dwell pot @ 50K (stock value) was adequate. It still oscillates on the very last of the pot's sweep; the infinite repeats happen much later on the dial, and there's a slightly smoother control in the middle.

I found a 100KA with the 22K resistor on it, just awkward. Almost the entire first half of the sweep was a single repeat, and it was very tough to dial in anything above 3 repeats without going into oscillation.

Anyway, that's what worked for me. I want to do a little more experimentation with the dwell pot before boxing this one up. I also did the bright mods this time around."

gtr2

It is!  I should build up another one one of these days.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer