News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wolfshirt (fOXX Tone Machine clone)

Started by LaceSensor, January 05, 2013, 04:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Had a few hours kicking around today. Great way to fill them!
This thing sounds insane. The Octave portion really kicks in, id say its louder than just the fuzz.
I used Fairchild PN3565 which I understand are correct just in a plastic package.

No other mods, but I did make the modes footswitchable and used a bi-color LED for that.

Heres the pics! Hard to take pics of the graphics (black on navy tough at the best of times)

studiodunn

pickdropper

Cool looking build.

The Wolfshirt is an odd one to me.  The fuzz is intense and sounds great.  The octave is also insane, but is so piercing that I have to have different settings on the tone knob when the octave is on.  All in all, I like it, but it's taken me a bit of time to adjust to it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

studiodunn

Quote from: pickdropper on January 05, 2013, 04:48:03 PM
Cool looking build.

The Wolfshirt is an odd one to me.  The fuzz is intense and sounds great.  The octave is also insane, but is so piercing that I have to have different settings on the tone knob when the octave is on.  All in all, I like it, but it's taken me a bit of time to adjust to it.

I find that I really have to micro-adjust the tone and sustain when the octave is engaged. Running them both high will definitely render a SHARP tone.

My $.02

pickdropper

Quote from: studiodunn on January 05, 2013, 04:59:19 PM
Cool looking build.

I find that I really have to micro-adjust the tone and sustain when the octave is engaged. Running them both high will definitely render a SHARP tone.

My $.02

I've half considered putting the octave and a 2nd tone pot on a 4PDT switch so that I could have a dedicated tone pots for each mode.
Function f(x)

ch1naski

Quote from: pickdropper on January 05, 2013, 06:36:03 PM
Cool looking build.

My $.02

I've half considered putting the octave and a 2nd tone pot on a 4PDT switch so that I could have a dedicated tone pots for each mode.
THAT... Is a great idea for a mod.  I've seen your work, you can pull that off easily. You should do it and post it in the mods section so we can all profit. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

hoodoo

Hey mate, great looking build, was just about to ask in the general topics section if i could use the PN instead of 2N3565's,but you answered that for me ;), thanks, Matt.

Bret608

This looks really cool, and I'm glad to see a build with the PN3565s. I think this is the first time I've seen someone actually use them.

For my Wolfshirt, I set the tone around 1 o'clock and sustain around 2 o'clock, and that seems to work well for both the octave on and off. Then again my setup is on the darker side for being all Fender (Mustang and Blues Jr.).

pickdropper

Quote from: ch1naski on January 07, 2013, 05:40:34 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on January 05, 2013, 06:36:03 PM
Cool looking build.

My $.02

THAT... Is a great idea for a mod.  I've seen your work, you can pull that off easily. You should do it and post it in the mods section so we can all profit. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I won't do it to my current build because the octave is on a toggle and I don't really have room for another pot.  If I do another build, that is how I would do it.

But it wouldn't be difficult.  Just wire the pcb to 3 of the center lugs of the 4PDT and wire the top row of the the switch to one tone pot and the bottom row to the other tone pot.  Because it is a 4PDT, you will have one leftover switch, which you can use for the octave selector.
Function f(x)

alanp

Just twigged on how you wired the bi-colour LED. Dead cunning, that. I think I'll have to pinch that idea if I ever build one :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

LaceSensor

Quote from: alanp on January 08, 2013, 06:41:00 AM
Just twigged on how you wired the bi-colour LED. Dead cunning, that. I think I'll have to pinch that idea if I ever build one :)

Haha have fun with it.

nzCdog