News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mudbunny civil war - volume drop

Started by hammerheadmusicman, January 02, 2013, 06:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerheadmusicman

So I built a mud bunny civil war for a friend, and he says it is a bit quiet, the sound is killer, but when you switch it one, it could do with being louder.. Is this an output buffer on some veroboard or something? Or is the a more simple solution?

Thanks

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

midwayfair

Big Muffs are absurdly loud, but I guess that's neither here nor there ...

Solder a 47uF cap and 5kC pot in series to ground from the emitter of Q4. Decrease the collector resistor to maybe ... 8.2K. You MAY need to replace the 100K from the base to ground in that stage to properly re-bias the transistor. Anyway, now you have a gain control on the output transistor. If he doesn't want the extra external control, use 680R in place of the pot.

Alternatively, wire in a tone bypass (aka "mids control"). This will make the pedal louder by bypassing the tone stack. It's useful.

EDIT: If you've got an actual volume drop (not just "where's all the mids?"), you've got something wrong in the pedal.

hammerheadmusicman

Cheers john, aparently some of the old ones had some 'volume drop' issues, it's not a mid related problem, it's a output volume problem, it's not much quieter than it should be. Infant it wouldn't bother me the way it is, I think he just want to have more room at the top of the pot to push it a bit more if he wanted to..

I'll bare that stuff in mind though, thanks

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..