Started by jkokura, December 20, 2012, 03:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

murdog47

Willybomb

*shrug*  Someone will trace it and put up a schematic.  I enjoy the pedal building but my main gig board, and my grab-and-go RC battery powered board are all commercial product as my stuff isn't as well built and I'm sure others probably leave the homebrew stuff to bedroom noodling!

I doubt people will stop building Dr Boogies just because you can buy a pedal.  Probably the opposite.

culturejam

You think Mesa will start suing people who are building the old DIY project? I ask because you said "in jeopardy".

As for the Mesa pedals, they sure did give them cheesy names.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jimilee

I built my pedals with the intent to gig them and they hold up at rehearsals no problem.slowly replacing my boss pedals with them.we should put up a poll just to see who does gig them.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Strangely enough, none of them really sound like the Dr. Boogie (Or really a Boogie at all).

I think one of them is even a Tube Screamer, but I could be wrong about that.  Local store has them in stock.  I only briefly heard them, so more of a sample might be needed.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

nzCdog

Quote from: pickdropper on December 20, 2012, 05:56:32 AM
Strangely enough, none of them really sound like the Dr. Boogie (Or really a Boogie at all).

I think one of them is even a Tube Screamer, but I could be wrong about that.  Local store has them in stock.  I only briefly heard them, so more of a sample might be needed.
Yes I read that review today... not particularly flattering soundclips, I'm sure those pedals would be capable of more.  Dr Boogie is still awesome 8)

studiodunn

I for one have started building to replace any and all "Name Brand" pedals on my board.

jkokura

Quote from: studiodunn on December 20, 2012, 08:03:07 PM
I for one have started building to replace any and all "Name Brand" pedals on my board.

That's basically how I got started. I sold my 80's TS9 and a Danelectro Daddy-O to build Fulldrive and TS808 clones... neither of which I still own.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

jkokura

Quote from: culturejam on December 20, 2012, 04:31:18 AM
You think Mesa will start suing people who are building the old DIY project? I ask because you said "in jeopardy".

As for the Mesa pedals, they sure did give them cheesy names.  ;D

Nah, I just think we might need to stop in case they do! As for the cheesy names, I think that's fine with most of the guitar slinging kinds. The kids that will buy those pedals will not care, they just want a piece of the Mesa gear they can actually afford.

I just can't wait to see gut shots and confirm my suspicions that they're mass made Chinese crap. Then see the back engineered schems...

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

nzCdog

Quote from: jkokura on December 20, 2012, 08:49:29 PM
The kids that will buy those pedals will not care, they just want a piece of the Mesa gear they can actually afford.
^ zigackly! ;D
I know because I was a kid once *sigh*

atreidesheir

I do not suspect the Uno/Dr. Boogie stuff is seen as an economic threat to the brand.  Just by adapting the values of the tone stack to pedal voltage should shield it from patent or copyright action.  Trademark action is not likely either.  And the stated educational purposes of the boards actually carries weight in court.  If sellers of the mesa preamp-type pedals were making a ton of money, that would attract unwanted attention.  I get the impression Brian is not rich.  Except with friendship and goodwill. :D 

My friend stock the new pedals in his store.  He said they are middle of the road pedals.  A bit high for mass produced pedals.  All are good, none are great.  He said they are like the Suhr pedals, but not as solidly built in his opinion.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman