News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Capacitor values and markings

Started by TreeSlayer, November 28, 2012, 12:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

Quote from: TreeSlayer on November 28, 2012, 11:21:27 PM
thanks, Brian! just a couple more questions, and i'll leave y'all alone. is a 1kB and a 1 meg-ohm pot the same? a 500kA and a 500K? and for the life of me, i can't seem to find anything that remotely resembles a 220R or a 470R resistor. thanks a million! LT

1 kB and 1MB are not the same, they're a 1000X different. Kilo (k) = 1,000 ohms, Mega (M) = 1,000,000 Ohms.

500kA is a 500k logarithmic taper pot.  500 kB is a 500k linear pot.  Linear pots behave more or less in a straight line, so 50% of rotation represents 50% of value.  Logarithmic pots behave different, and the most dramatic change in value is in about the last 1/3 of the sweep.

220R and 470R are 220 Ohm and 470 Ohm, respectively.  You should be able to find those fairly easily.

Hope this helps
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

TreeSlayer

thanks, GermanCdn! the problem i'm having is for the Retrograde, the BOM is calling for a 220K and a 220R resistor in R5 and R6 respectivley. i'm assuming there is a difference....
"At the line it's just you, me and the tree." the TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

TreeSlayer

i think i just answered my own question.... duhhhh
1k2=1.2kohm. correct?

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

madbean

Don't worry, you are getting the hang of it.

Just remember:
1R = 1 Ohm
1000 Ohms = 1k
10,000 Ohms = 10k

TreeSlayer

i have everything but the pots... does logarithmic taper=audio?
logarithmic does = audio (500kA A=audio) duhhh... praise the Lord and pass tha butter beans!! i'm on my way!! thanks guys for all the help! if you need any help building a drag car, drive line, chassis or suspension, just holler! that's what i do for fun! yes that's me and my car in the avatar.... :{D

madbean

Yes.

Log = Audio = "A"
Linear = "B"
Reverse Audio = CCW Log = "C"

Except, if you are in the UK, A= linear and B = log, don't ask me why. But, in the case of smallbear and pretty much all US suppliers what I wrote above is true.

TreeSlayer

see updataed post. and again, thanks a million!!! LT